15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
Moai
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I got two new guitars! I got the Squier Tele, and the used G-400.

Here's a pic of the G-400:

And another:

And here are pics of the Squier:

I played the G-400 all day yesterday, and man is it cool! The neck is way fast, the action is super low, and it sounds really cool. It is a lot more versatile than I expected. The amp is a nice little surprise, too. The neck does dive on you a lot, which was weird at first, and it is really light, which is cool. It is an impressive guitar.

And: I gave it to my friend Brooke. SG's are his favorite guitar of all time, and when we are in the store together he looks at them longingly, so I thought "What the heck?" I can still mess with it when I am over at his pad, and the look on his face when I gave it to him was worth the $250 I spent easily! I can always get one later, as they are everywhere. Besides, I have the new Squier to play with!

The Squier rules, but I have been playing it in the store for weeks now so there are no surprises as far as that goes. The Squier Tele has got to be one of the best values out there, it is really nice. In a couple years I'll put in Texas Specials and I'll have an awesome axe for next to nothing. I got it for $214--the store matched the online price, but I had to pay tax.

So yesterday was a good day!

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

Evolution
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

Nice guitars. :o

I wish I had a friend that gave me guitars as a present :?

ReplyQuote
Robbie
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

Everyone needs a friend like you!! Pick me. Nice axes and an even nicer jesture. The SG is my next colour. I am envious.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
97reb
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Uh, what's up with the color on that SG? The picture looks great. Is that light reflecting off the guitar? If that is a solid color with light reflection, cool photography. Otherwise, think of the Custom shop potential of that look.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
Moai
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It's the light from the pool table reflecting on it. Total accident, but I think it looks cool, too. Thanks!

The black finish itself is very beautiful--you can see yourself in it.

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
Bish
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Wow, Moai. You struck gold.

Great purchases.

Those are both very beautiful.

I'm looking at SG's also. That one makes me green. :mrgreen:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Vic Lewis VL
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Glad you got the Squier Tele....

I bought one back in February, was meant to be a backup guitar....Smokindog got one about the same time....funny thing, we both agree it's the number 1 guitar.....the first one you pick up....

Paid £135 for mine...a Fender Tele was £445....and the Squier sounded better, so I bought the 15W Cube I'd played it through in the shop....

Ah well - enjoy the new babies!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
TwistedLefty
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Nice, you are a very generous friend.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I wish i had a best friend like you have and could give him/her that present

ReplyQuote
rparker
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Well, every now and then you just gotta treat a friend right. Sounds like you did. It's gotta feal pretty good. Congrats. on the axes and the good deed.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
simon@home.co.uk
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

I've got a G-400 Custom. I was impressed with the neck too, its amazingly smooth and fast. Much better than my Jackson neck and thats designed to be played fast! Cant imagine wat a Gibson SG Supreme neck would feel like :shock:
Tone variation is great too :)

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

How much different does the G-400 sound from an LP? I mean it's still dual humbuckers right? Is it worth it to have both an LP and G-400 (putting WANT aside from NEED)?

Also, Moi you are making it very difficult for me to hold out for the American Tele...I am DYING for a tele! I just might have to get the squier Sunburst I have wanted soon!

ReplyQuote
Evolution
(@evolution)
Estimable Member

The difference between a SG and LP is the sound. An SG has a darker muddier tone while the Les Paul has a brighter tone. Kind of hard to describe in words its better if you go try them out yourself and you'll see what I mean.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i still sometimes feel what makes the tonal difference in the guitars while all are electric and made by same company.

say for example why tele and a strat sound distinct ?

ReplyQuote
Moai
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How much different does the G-400 sound from an LP? I mean it's still dual humbuckers right? Is it worth it to have both an LP and G-400 (putting WANT aside from NEED)?

Also, Moi you are making it very difficult for me to hold out for the American Tele...I am DYING for a tele! I just might have to get the squier Sunburst I have wanted soon!

Tele's rule! :twisted:

I haven't played LP's a lot, but after an extended session with the G-400 I noticed that the SG sounds dirtier--in a good way. Angus Young really got the most out of one. My SD has a humbucker in the bridge and it doesn't sound the same as the G-400 in the same position. Different brand of pickup, sure, but the SD is brighter and tighter. I find the LP to be the same way. I'll probably get another G-400 here pretty quick, as it is a good value, and nothing sounds like an SG--even a budget SG.

I am sure the American Tele you want is a fine instrument, but for me, there really is no reason to spend the money, unless you HAVE TO HAVE the Fender on the headstock. Mine is beautiful, sounds awesome--not quite as hot as the US model I played in the store, sure, but there wasn't $1000 worth of difference. In fact, I may eventually (after years, I am sure) put Texas Specials in my Squier to get it a little hotter. Maybe. The tone it has now is absolutely amazing, I can't stress it enough. For $200 you absolutely cannot go wrong. My finish is so nice I can stare at it forever! Bear in mind that the Tele is HEAVY. My heaviest guitar by far.

One thing I noticed after playing for a few hours last night, is that the Tele's tone pot actually works! It is really cool. You can use it to dial in the twang. Bitchin'! Also, I have been switching back and forth checking the subtle tone differences between my guitars, and while a humbucker in the bridge can twang pretty good, it is almost too hot in comparison. It sounds cool, don't get me wrong, but the Tele tone is smooth and even and PERFECT. "Like a bell" is the only way I can think of to describe it. It distorts really nice, too. And reverb---Forgedaboudit! My cheapo Strat will finally see some rest now!

The neck is art. So nice and smooth and fast---AAHHHHHHHH! Mine was set up before I bought it, and the action is nice and low, although not as low as the G-400. The skunk mark down the middle looks sexy, too. I would rather have had Maple, but oh well, rosewood matches the color of the body well. The frets are prefect, too. Maybe years ago Squiers weren't all that great, but now they are very, very nice. Especially for the money!

All I can say is if you have $200 and you want a hollowbody, get an OE-30. If you want a Tele, get the Squier. It's worth three times the money, EASILY.

ReplyQuote