Clear all

The best guitar tip ever

27 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@prndl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

How about posting the best guitar tip you've ever heard?

Here's mine ... inspired by the popular posts on straplocks.

The best guitar tip I've ever been told was in an old issue of Total Guitar Magazine.
They recommended drinking a Grolsch beer and putting the plastic grommet onto the strap holder.
It fits on tightly and holds the guitar strap on securely.

I like the combination ... beer with a useful purpose!

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

too bad i can't buy beer :cry:

My best tip was to use my thumb to mute the E and A strings on chords like A and D, simple but effective.

Oh and practice really is the key to being able to shred.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

The best tip!

Read Guitarnoise forums.

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

Best tip from me would be, adjust the way you tune to the way you are going to play. If you are flatpicking, strike the strings when tuning with a plectrum, and if you are playing fingerstyle, strike with your nails or the flesh of your fingers, whatever you're playing. The motions the guitar strings make under these two different circumstances are not the same, so you get a more accurate tune this way.

Best tip I have heard: Try out alternate tunings if your playing is getting stale, it provides a whole new sound and a whole new way of looking at things.

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

pick slide down the sixth string. a great sound when used carefully.
dont over use it.

and palm muting. Id be handicapped without palm muting.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Best tip I learned - practice something at a slow speed, until you can play it perfectly. Only then, increase speed until you reach the desired speed.

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

Write the music in your head and then play it on your guitar.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Most of your tone is in your fingers ......... and a good amp helps, too

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Play it like you mean it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Open your throat when doing funnels...WAIT you meant GUITAR tip! :oops: :wink: :lol:

Tune your guitar everytime you pick it up. It is one habit that has stuck and I have done this EVERY single day in the year+ that I have been playing!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The best guitar tip for me was catching a Chet Atkins interview on TV many years ago. The reporter remarked that Chet was so talented. Chet laughed and said he wasn't talented at all. The reporter was amazed and asked how Chet could say such a thing.

Chet said, "If you had practiced 40,000 hours like I have, you would be just as good as me."

Think about that. If you practiced 8 hours per day for 5 days a week like a job, that would be 40 hours per week, 2000 hours per year (two weeks vacation). So you would have to practice like this for 20 years.

That did it for me right there. I knew that if I kept playing, that eventually I would get good. So for me, that was the best guitar tip ever.

For some of you younger players who might not know who Chet Atkins was, he was known as "Mister Guitar", one of the greatest players ever.

Chet Atkins

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@guitar4k)
Eminent Member

I remember back in high school I knew my scales inside and out; I could play them at blistering speeds all day. However, the best tip I got was from a friend of mine who never once had a guitar lesson, but could outplay me.

He said "Don't just play the notes, feel the notes".

Sure I could run circles around him with theory, but he didnt need to know theory, he just knew what sounded good. The kid didnt just play the guitar, he made it sing. I took his advice and have since gotten soooo much better.

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

The best guitar tip for me was catching a Chet Atkins interview on TV many years ago. The reporter remarked that Chet was so talented. Chet laughed and said he wasn't talented at all. The reporter was amazed and asked how Chet could say such a thing.

Chet said, "If you had practiced 40,000 hours like I have, you would be just as good as me."

Think about that. If you practiced 8 hours per day for 5 days a week like a job, that would be 40 hours per week, 2000 hours per year (two weeks vacation). So you would have to practice like this for 20 years.

That did it for me right there. I knew that if I kept playing, that eventually I would get good. So for me, that was the best guitar tip ever.

For some of you younger players who might not know who Chet Atkins was, he was known as "Mister Guitar", one of the greatest players ever.

Chet Atkins

That is the single most important guitar tip of them all. Chet really said it like it is.

The best tip that I have ever heard is the one above. No other tips matter anymore. :roll:

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@jwishart77)
Estimable Member

Well, notwithstanding that the last tip has made all other tips irrelevant, I have one anyway.

If you are serious about getting better fast, take lessons.

I have been saying to myself 'i really should get lessons' for about 3-4 years now and it took me until a month ago to actually do it.

It is brilliant....i have been playing for about 12 years without lessons and i guess would be considered a 'good' guitarist, but I haven't been getting much better for a long long time. Now that I have started lessons I can already see huge improvements and I really think that in a year or so I will have made the step from 'good to 'great' (although 'legendary' remains a distant goal). I don't think it's a huge step from where I am already, but I don't think I would ever make it without lessons.

Now I am just annoyed I didn't take lessons sooner!

DO IT!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Well, notwithstanding that the last tip has made all other tips irrelevant, I have one anyway.

If you are serious about getting better fast, take lessons.

I have been saying to myself 'i really should get lessons' for about 3-4 years now and it took me until a month ago to actually do it.

It is brilliant....i have been playing for about 12 years without lessons and i guess would be considered a 'good' guitarist, but I haven't been getting much better for a long long time. Now that I have started lessons I can already see huge improvements and I really think that in a year or so I will have made the step from 'good to 'great' (although 'legendary' remains a distant goal). I don't think it's a huge step from where I am already, but I don't think I would ever make it without lessons.

Now I am just annoyed I didn't take lessons sooner!

DO IT!!!!!!

totally agree with you, i was a complete beginner who just messed around with guitar, but after taking lessons all summer this year i can play alot of my fav songs and even do a little blues improv :D

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2