The best guitar tip ever

27 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

practice perfection
Slop is only allowed when noodling, not when working at getting better

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Learn as much theory and technique as you can, but don't forget to HAVE FUN and put SOUL into your playing! 8)

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

practice perfection

+1

Exactly!!! I like the term "practice makes permanent". If you practice sloppy, you'll ingrain your mistakes into your muscle memory.

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

practice perfection

+1

Exactly!!! I like the term "practice makes permanent". If you practice sloppy, you'll ingrain your mistakes into your muscle memory.

No, not exactly. Why allow slop when noodling? Every note counts -- even during noodling, which is an important means by which many players will develop their own voice. Do it right.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

No, not exactly. Why allow slop when noodling? Every note counts -- even during noodling, which is an important means by which many players will develop their own voice. Do it right.

If you used the word "improvising" instead of "noodling" i would agree with you 100%

My definition of noodling is totally free and experimental... it's about the way something sounds... and in no way technical. It's not about practicing.. it's about exploring.
for example. a choked note may be a new sound that you wouldn't have discovered unless you were playing sloppy...
to me, noodling is opening doorways to new sounds...

When you try to refine your ideas into something presentable to others (ie. practice before performance) is when you remove the slop.

You obviously disagree, which is ok aswell..

Peace,

J

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Ever watch a pro athlete play with junior high kids at some event? Are they having fun and being silly or are they focused on perfect technique? Does that lack of focus in that context make them less of a quality athlete?

In my mind, noodling is all about having fun without limits or restraints on what you're doing. It's about enjoying your instrument, and I think it's just as important as practicing.

If you want to try playing your guitar with blocks of jello, go for it. Have fun, knock yourself out. Do whatever you want with out rules or expectations beyond enjoyment. Quality and technique matter not. What matters is having the creative freedom to simply enjoy whatever it is you choose to do.

But practice is something else, it's the serious focus on technique and quality not only does matter, it's the only thing that matters. Unfocused, imperfect technique during practice is not practice.

I think that musicians need both -- time to practice and work hard, and time to play and let loose.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Everyone should experiment and not be afraid to make mistakes during explorations -- if that doesn't happen, one is not venturing far enough. Like practice, noodling also is important for creating new neural pathways (muscle memory) and finding one's way along the path of instrument and -- more generally -- music. Most guitarists spend a lot of time in the noodle factory without even realizing it. This is where the guitar player become comfortable and familiar with the instrument in a different way, learning to create and add personal touches, flourishes and style to his or her playing. There is no reason not to try to do it well.

Just because a pro athlete is goofing off, doesn't mean the grace and coordination (s)he's developed is turned off. They even goof off well.

There is something to be said for "work hard and play hard."

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Tip: If your playing sounds bad, blame yourself.

Kinda obvious but does help a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Like that one, Arjen. So annoying to watch/hear a player continually blame the guitar or amp or ??? for the quality of the performance. Many times, that very excuse-making ruins what would have been a reasonable job.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member

This is the only tip I can think of at the moment. When I am going to be doing some tapping with gobs of gain I wrap a terri cloth sweat band (clean of course - headband doubled up) around the first fret. It helps mute the other strings. Actually I keep the thing on my headstock and just pull it down when ready.

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

For my second tip, I'd recommend researching and buying a vintage acoustic guitar.
It's possible to get a great sounding axe at a low price.

My current love is a Yamaha FG-335. It's built like a tank - extremely heavy.
The tone is very sweet and mellow. Lowering the action made it easy to play.

:D

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

The best guitar tip I ever got "Stick to bowling"

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2