The Cab for your head

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,
I always thought that you could plug in any amp head into any 4x12 guitar amp cabinent....

but i was looking at some cabs and they say like "the jcm 2000 cab" or something like that, so then i started second guessing.

can i plug my mesa/boogie triple rectifier into any cab?
you see I have enough money for the head, but no where near enough for the orig. cab. so my plan was to by a cheap cab, then once i get the money to buy the aswome cab, i will.

and if i do that, i know the cab u use effects your sound, but will it be okay if i do this? buy the head with a cheap cab?

thougts? thx

RIP Dimebag

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would check the ohms for the cabinet and the ohms for the amp. Generally you want the Ohm's for the cabinet to match the same Ohms for the speaker out on the amp. Check the cabinet and the amp, there's a good chance they will work just fine.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member

wishiwas:
Just to clarify on forrok_stars' comment. Its not only generally but neccessary to make sure your ohms match. If they are mis matched you run the possibility on damaging your head.. Especially is there is too much resistance.. The good news is you can usaully rewire your cab to match the impedence of your head if neccessary.. well to a point anyway. Some heads also are selectable to either 4 or 8 ohms so check the heads manual.

ReplyQuote