Clear all

The Downside of Joining a Band ...

21 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

... is that there's no more time for noodling, or learning other material, or experimenting with different styles.

For me, acoustic blues and Celtic-style DADGAD tunes - two styles that I really enjoy - are on the back burner. Heck, the pilot light's not even lit. And I haven't seen the warm glow of the tubes in my Classic 20 in weeks, as my electric guitars collect dust.

Of course, I knew it would be a big time commitment. New songs to learn on my own every week, plus practice with the group, and of course the actual performances. Good thing I'm having fun playing bass and enjoy the songs we do.

Now I've been asked to sub on acoustic guitar once a month, so at least I'll get some use out of one of my other guitars - probably the Seagull, to which I'll add a pickup. But of course that means more time to spend learning the same songs on guitar.

Time. That's the problem. Not enough of it.

How do you guys and gals stay focused on the band's music, and do you have the same problem putting other things aside?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Commercial and other interests aside in favor of artistic motivation: You need to join or create a band that works for your music. The unfortunate realities are that your music may not find an audience (validiation from listeners), interest other players (validation from other players/musicians) or make you any money. One must usually compromise. Or more often, everyone in the band must compromise. That's tough, and people aren't always good at it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

or your could work your repretoire into the band's playlist.
I had a bit of luck doing that, until the band leader thought I was encroaching too much.
a fine line with some blokes.
eventually, I couldnt take the tyranical one way street and left.

one good thing about about band is the twentyormore hours of guitar time per week.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

good luck. after a while you'll get into the groove and have more time.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

everyone in the band must compromise.

That's a great point. I guess I have to keep my "artistic motivations" in check, LOL. :lol: Seriously though, I really enjoy the band and the music we play. I just need to narrow my focus a little bit.

one good thing about about band is the twentyormore hours of guitar time per week.

Amen!

good luck. after a while you'll get into the groove and have more time.

Thanks Jason!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I dunno if it's still true, but that was one of the undocumented downsides of 'making it' in the old days. You'd practice up, and then, perhaps, you found yourself in the Rolling Stones. Write/Rehearse/Record first album, Tour, write/rehearse next single/album (sometimes while you're on tour), new album support tour, writing for singles and next album and tour, etc. Promo stops along the way, travel, travel, travel. "Been around the world 7 times, ain't really seen any of it!" Exhaustion, contracts, albums, touring.

And people wonder why certain artists "never got beyond a certain level" musically/instrumentally? This is for the 'super star' bands/artists, but in varying lesser degrees, it's what happens (or happened) a lot of times when a band or artist finally got top billing. It can pretty much wreck your entire life - or at least alter it to the point where it's unrecognizable. "See you, honey - I'll be back in 9 months, for a week!"

I don't envy those guys. I have a pretty good imagination - I'm sure there's still stuff that I can't imagine that's messed up about being in that world - but even what I presume/imagine of their lives is enough to make me glad it never got to that point.

On the one hand there's all this money and fame and glamore; on the other, you're no longer a private person, no longer have much of a private life.

And it would seem that practicing technique and scales and chord thingies would go right out the window.

On the other hand it's said that Coltrane used to practice as soon as he hit town, and even between sets. I guess you can make time to do anything ;)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

You could do like me and sleep less.

I'm usually in bed around 1 AM (early) and up by 6:30 for a vigorous 8 hour work day. Then it's home to the computer and guitars to continue the WIP.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

You could do like me and sleep less.

I'm usually in bed around 1 AM (early) and up by 6:30 for a vigorous 8 hour work day. Then it's home to the computer and guitars to continue the WIP.
I do the same, only I'm lucky if I get 1/2 hour on the computer and 1/2 hour on the guitar between overtime to pay the bills and trying not be be a stranger to my girls :/

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

The downside of being in a band is getting everyone to actually show up for practice and be serious. most are just kids who think that they will make it big and yet want to spend only a 1/2 hour practice a week. come on, drugs and lack of playing doesn't make you big. MOTIVATION and HARD WORK! Another downside is to actually get all members to agree ona style of music. They may join but always be trying to change your sound or whatever. The upside is playing with others will help you get better and more in time than on your own. Either way, just have fun.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

We all make decisions in life for better or worse. If you're married and have kids odds are you have less time to mess with the guitar. If you play with a band you have less time to work on personal music. But does playing in the band give you more joy than being able to play your personal songs at home? If so, stick with the band. If not, quit and play any song you want at home.

About 5 months ago I had to learn 30 songs in 3 weeks so I had zero time to play or noodle with personal songs. Now both bands are on hiatus so I've done nothing but play personal songs and it's been great. Next week I'm back to rehersing with one band so it'll be time to learn new songs with them.

Like I said, we all get to make our own decisions.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

slejhamer:

I don't want to be negative, but it seems that if you band is limiting your options, it might not be the best fit.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

slejhamer:

I don't want to be negative, but it seems that if you band is limiting your options, it might not be the best fit.

No, I don't think that's it. Slej is playing bass in his band, and is having to put aside his other musical interests at the moment due to all the new songs to learn. He seems to be having fun, and getting alot out of it. It happens in a band. About two years ago, I was in two bands at the same time. One I had been in for years, and knew all the songs, maybe learn a new one at our semi-monthly practice, and we played out about once a month on average. I was the guitarist in someone else's band though, and though I enjoyed the band, the music, and the experiences, I didn't have much say in the music, etc. So I started another band to play the style of music I liked to get into, but I still had to make compromises, as even though I had started this new band, there were still three other people in the band with me that had a say as to what they liked & dis-liked too. We practiced once, sometimes twice a week, and had our first gig within a month. Throw in a full time job, family, etc., and not too much time to sit around & practice anything except the songs for the band and that's it. Once you learn all of the songs though, your time frees up again, as you just practice them once in awhile to just refresh your memory. Then you break out the acoustic blues and DADGAD celtic stuff that you like to noodle with, and have fun. Maybe work some of it into your band if it works, maybe not. Maybe you play bass in one band, and start your own acoustic blues or celtic band. 8) There will always be compromises though when you play with others. If you can't do that, you may want to think about a solo career. :wink:

Dan

P.S. That last line wasn't aimed at you Mitch, just saying in general.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Demo: Yeah, that really puts it in perspective. I'm nowhere near that type of situation, of course. But that's all interesting to think about.

Bish / C&S: That's it - no more being lazy and going to bed before midnight! ;)

Ginger: Indeed! Getting everyone there has been a problem for us. But our team leader is working on ways to get firmer commitments, so I think it will work out well. And yes, "just have fun" is what it should all be about, and I'm definitely doing that.

Corbind: "But does playing in the band give you more joy than being able to play your personal songs at home? If so, stick with the band." Excellent advice. And yes, it does. :)

Nexion: Dan's post answers on my behalf, and very well. (Thanks Dan!) I really do enjoy playing bass, in a band, in this band, doing our music. It's music I listen to in the car and at home as well. No complaints about any of that. If I had known how much I'd enjoy it, I'd have joined sooner.

It's like pizza. Every other week, we have "pizza Friday" in my office. And we get the same thing every time, because everyone in the office likes it. Not plain ol' cheese or pepperoni or sausage. We get an extra large Custom Deluxe, with chicken, artichoke hearts, feta cheese and banana peppers. It's the greatest pizza combo in the world, and everyone here agrees.

It's just that sometimes, I think to myself, a Hawaiian style pizza might be good today ... but then I eat the Custom Deluxe, and man that rocks!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

sounds like one nasty pizza

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

A lot of good advice here...

Sometimes, too, it can be a matter of reorganizing and doing your best to chip a tiny little more free time out of the granite of routine and obligation. Finding an extra half hour each day may be hard, but finding a half hour once a week or even an hour a month may work.

And sometimes it's simply taking what life gives you. Keeping your guitars (and the necessary materials) handy helps. So that if there's fifteen minutes before dinner or an extra ten that just happens to become free, then you don't have to go get everything prepared. You can just start on in.

Simple truth is that you can't do everything. But you certainly can find snatches of extra time to try! :wink:

And, as more than noted here, being happy about what you're doing is the real key.

I'm actually sure, Mitch, that as you get more and more comfortable in playing bass and comfortable with your role in the band, that you'll find yourself a routine that gives you some more time here and there to continue your musical explorations. If for no other reason than all the side interests will creep into your bass playing!

Peace

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2