The Gear Keeps Changing....I Might Be Done Finally

30 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'll do picture first for a change.

Yeah, more stuff. The Super Champ XD went upstairs under the Boss GT-10. Boy oh boy, does it shine there. It's a great improvement over the SS 30W amp that I was using.

As you can see in this pic, I filled the spot downstairs with a Jet City 20w 1X12 all tube amp. No clean channel, but has full tone controls, master volume and seperate gain. Oh, and the literature bragged about real tube reverb. Is that something good?

The amp was paid for by selling my SS amp and some misc old guitar parts. The guitar is a birthday gift. Ibanex ART-100. Low end of the totem pole for the Art line. It was gotten with a purpose and on sale. Really nice set neck. Perfectly straight, and was even in proper intonation after string change. Just had to lower the strings 1 1/2 turns each side after putting .10's on her. Tons of reverberation in the body. The reason I got it was to put some Dream 90's in it from Guitar Fetish. Oh, and it is a single cut as you can see, nice carved top and a really neat saddle and bridge system. It's a bit lighter and brighter than my Epi LPs. It should take the P90's very well.

Soooo, I think that this is going to be it for a while. I have my amp situation right where I wanted it in the grand scheme of things. Guitars....I'm probably done for a while at least. Still two I want out there, but I am unwilling to sell anything I have to get them with and I've already spent plenty of dough in the past 5 years. So, this should be it for a while.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Congrats man!!! Hope that you keep everything going and you are NEVER done! LOL, something will come up again. And you will NEED it! :twisted: :twisted:

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Looks like a nice rig Roy ... congrats and Happy Birthday again!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats Roy!

The guitar is beautiful. I like very much the neck. And the amp, too! Are you ready for some audio clips?

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Nice Birthday gift! I looked up the guitar and read about it - very good. Your plans are right on - it is always admirable to know what you want to do and to pursue it. 8) You will surely enjoy it very much. Cool amp too! Have fun. All the best!

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. Well, the pickups are "Out for Delivery" right now. I should have it all done this evening. <knocks on wood> My son wants to do some soldering.
Congrats man!!! Hope that you keep everything going and you are NEVER done! LOL, something will come up again. And you will NEED it! :twisted: :twisted:
Man, I hope not. Time to play these things. It's been fun collecting the rigs and stuff, but I think enough is enough. Famous last words, eh? I actually put my PRS SE up on CL, but took it off after a few people inquired about it and I decided not to sell or trade it.
Are you ready for some audio clips?
Not yet. I should put a sample together at some point. I'll bring the amp upstairs so I can record a bit of it.
I looked up the guitar and read about it - very good.
It's a decent guitar for the money. It's actually got some really neat hardware. The Bridge and Saddle are designed a lot differently than standard. Kind of a slot, slide into position thing going on to hold the strings' ball end, and then an actual curved piece of metal for each string saddle that the strings sort of drapes over. Not a sharp edge like the standard saddle. I'm not sure which piece is responsible, but it resonates very well. I didn't even plug it in at the store. I knew what I was going to do with it. Small place owned by GC come to find out. We did even know it was there. Way on the other side of town. It was all impromptu, and she said "that'll make it really easy on me for your birthday". No problems, baby. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I almost bought one of those Roy. (The guitar) I still may own one some day too. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

yesssssssss!!!!

congrats! It's a great amp. I have the head version w/ a open back vintage 30 112 cab under it.

I used it with my band with little gain and then ran a pedal for distortion (we're a modern rock band), but I definitely enjoy plugging in my strat and cranking up the amp's gain.

How's the eminence speaker sound?

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

Never say never! Having been playing for over 25 years,there's always more gear that I'd like to get.I'm happy with what I got..........for now.I'd like to get a small 15-30w tube amp.That will probably do it for me.Then again,maybe not!

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Nice gear Roy, enjoy! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I almost bought one of those Roy. (The guitar) I still may own one some day too. :mrgreen:
I wrote that from my hospital bed Roy ........ and

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=48507

Sorry, don't mean to steal your thunder but your review is correct! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That's a nice color too, btw. I got to choose from two white ones. :|

My pickups came in Wednesday. Quite busy once they got here, but I'll have time this morning to get them P90s in there.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I didn't have a choice in color but the guitar caught my eye right away. I didn't realize thay came in that color and when I checked it out I was like "Hey! This is the model I came here took for!" :lol: They did have a blue one that the guy said he just sold. This one took it's place on the rack. Can't wait to see / hear yours with the P90's Roy. I plan to keep the humbuckers on mine. The neck is very comfortable like a Les Paul and the top is arched but the body is light and comfortable due to the contours. It is fully bound too! A feature I really like. It gives a smooth feel to the neck and a sharp outline to the body. (Kind of the opposite of a poorly made cheap Strat style guitar) :lol: Get it? Sharpe feel to neck and smooth outline to body ...... :oops: :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Alrighty. I like P90's. These are GFS brand from Guitar Fetish called "Dream 90's. These things truly rock out. I did not make a before recording. Yet another in a long line of "DOH!" moments. No before and after comparisons. I will say that these things have a great rough edge, or bite or whatever you want to call it.

The Bridge is not thin by any stretch of the imagination. I can see a lot of use there for rhythm and lead. I normally play neck position. I think this and the "Mean 90's" equipped guitar are tied with my Gretsch for best bridge tone in my arsenal. Very crisp on clean settings and a good bite in them with some drive, like a Blues Driver emulation I have. I've yet to take her up to some harder Rock levels, but will soon.

The neck isn't quite as crisp as the bridge, but it can do the job. Kind of a jazzy lead tones at lower volumes, but anything other than a light touch will break up the tone a bit playing some rhythm. That's probably a good thing for me. I've got the touch of an elephant on a rampage. Part of it might be the POTs on this guitar. They behave much like the PRS SE. Volume and grit both come out differently than my Epi's do.

At any rate, I really dig the P-90's. $30 each. Can't complain about that price one bit. I've never had expensive p90's, so no idea what I'm missing ..... and there's nuttin wrong with that. 8) 8)

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I got a GFS pickup on my beer can Strat and they are good pickups. I think I'm good with the stock pickups on my Ibanez though but I can see where the P90's are a great idea. At first glance you think Les Paul, the neck is very Les Paul. Once I installed some strap locks and slung it I noticed the thinness of the body. This is the Gibson guitar that came to mind.

Gibson Blueshawk! I think the Ibanez is a little more wallet friendly though. So far Roy I'm loving mine. Thanks for giving me the GAS to go out and get it. :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2