Skip to content
The Man who Sold th...

Notifications
Clear all

The Man who Sold the World - Nirvana/Bowie cover.

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Greetings my steel and nylon plucking friends. Here's one off MTV unplugged in New York, Nirvana covered this Bowie song as a tribute. I must say, I really like their version, sorry Bowie fans! As some of you know I am very new to electric, so this is one I will be working on - as such its very much one I am learning as much as you might be, I hope.

Right as usual I will try and give as many playing tips as i can figure out...

Timing
Its all in 4/4 time, that is stay on each chord for a count of 4. You will note that most chords you stay on for two bars in the verse, (count 4 twice) and I have tried to indicate where the singing is in relation to the chords by putting them in twice - so you'll see an A after an A to denote where they fit. I hope this makes sense to you.
The ONLY exception to this, is the verse bit "I thought you died alone"...on the "died" you play just 2 beats of A (this follows a 4 beat A). Its best played with two downstrokes and then straight back to the Dm.

Chord shapes I have listed these out as open chords - there is one exception, the C# (and I am sure someone will correct me that its not a C# at all anyway!!!) but you have plenty of time to get to this so it shouldn't be a problem.

A - x02220
Dm - xx0231
F - full barred F OR xx3211 cheat (like me!)
C - x32010
C# - x4666x (if you really can't do that, slide an A up to 6th fret and just play the middle strings xx666x. Be a devil....(get it?).

Strumming pattern Couldn't be easier - just play Down Down Up Up Down (1, 2, 3+ 4). On the C# just hit it hard and let it ring. Don't forget the timing of the A at the end of line 6 (see "timing" above).

Riffs The song is based round two main riffs. Note that riff one, and the outro solo, are all played on one string, the G. For space's sake, I haven't included all the strings on the tab, only the G string for these bits. I hope you'll forgive my lazyness but it seemed a waste of time including strings that are never played! One forms the intro and a guitar fill after the chorus, the other is the main chorus.

Let's have a look at riff one.This is played on electric, with a bit of overdrive i think -
Riff 1 (forms intro as well as fills) G:--2-----2-2---0-------2h3p2---0---|

Use your middle finger to play the 2nd fret, then hammer on and off the 3rd fret with your ring finger. Should be pretty easy with a little practice.

it should sound (timing wise) dum dum dum dur.......diddle um. With a distinct pause between the open string and the hammer on section. When you're playing this as the intro, play it through 5 times like this, then on the sixth time add an extra note like this -
G:--2-----2-2---0-------2h3p2---0-2 (let ring)

Ok so that's riff one tackled - pretty easy. The next riff is more tricky, the experienced players will recognise it pretty quickly (I am not a technical buff but i think its C major scale? anyone care to comment?) followed by F.

It looks like this and is played in strict eighth notes (so its one and two and three and four and..)

Riff two
Note first bar is C, second is F
e:--------------------------|--------------------------|
B:-----------------------1--|--------------------------|
G:--------------0--2--3-----|--------------------------|
D:-----0--2--3--------------|-----------------0--2--3--|
A:--3-----------------------|--------0--1--3-----------|
E:--------------------------|--1--3--------------------|

Right that's about it really. So lets have a look at the whole song.

Play intro as detailed above then.....
] A
We passed upon the stairs,
A Dm
We spoke of was and when
Dm A
Although I wasn't there
A F
He said I was his friend,
F C
Which came as a surprise,
C A A(2) Dm
I spoke into his eyes -- I thought you died alone
Dm
A long long time ago (into riff 2)

Chorus one

Riff 2
C part F part
Oh no,……………. not me,
C# (see notes)
We never lost control,
Riff 2
C part F part
You're face, to face,
C# (see notes)
With the man who sold the world (straight into riff one…)

Verse 2
A
I laughed and shook his hand,
A Dm
I made my way back home,
Dm A
I searched for form and land
A F
Years and years I roamed,
F C
I gazed a gazely stare,
C A A (2) Dm
We walked a million hills, I must have died alone,
Dm
A long long time ago (into riff 2)

Chorus two
Riff 2
C part F part
Oh no,……………. not me,
C# (see notes)
We never lost control,
Riff 2
C part F part
You're face, to face,
C# (see notes)
With the man who sold the world straight into outro…

Outro ……
A * Dm *
G|--2-2-2-0---2h3p2-0---2-2-2-0---2h3p2-0---2-2-2-0---2h3p2-0----

F
G--2-2-2-0---2h3p2-0---2-2-2-0---2h3p2-0---2-2-2-0---2h3p2-0----

Dm A
G--2-2-2-0---2h3p2-0---2-2-2-0-----5/7-9-10--9--9-9--9-9--9--9-9--

Dm F
G--2-2-2-0---2h3p2-0---2-2-2-0---2---/10--10-10--10-10-10--10-10-

Dm A
G--10-10--10-109---9-7-7--7-7--7-7-7-7--7-7--7/9-9--9-9-9--9-9--

Dm F
G--9--9-9---2-2-2-0---2h3p2-0---2-2-2-0---0-2----/10--10-10--10--

Dm A
G--10-10--10-10-10-10--10-109-9--7--7-7-7--7-7-7-7--7-7-7--7/9--

Dm F *

G-9-9--9-9-9--9--9-9--9-9--2-2-2-0---2h3p2-0---2-2-2-0---2h3p2-0-2--|

As you can see the outro starts exactly like riff one, so go straight there, then its a case of hitting the right notes on the G string. Of course if you don't fancy that, just strum the chords to it and you'll be fine.

I hope this is an ok tab, I haven't had a chance to test it yet so it might have some cr*p in it, but either way it will get you started on this song.

All the best and post any questions!

Matt

(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

Shouldn't this be in the Easy Song Forum?

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

sh*t - I wondered where it had gone!!

Please delete, i have reposted it.

Matt

ReplyQuote