Clear all

THE STATE OF MUSIC

20 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

IT'S BEEN AWHILE SENCE MUSIC HAS BEEN A FORM OF EXPRESSION AND NOT A WAY TO MAKE MONEY. MY BAND (PitchBlack)HAS JUST STARTED TO GET IT TOGTHER WE JUST HIRES A RYTHM GUITAR AND STILL LOOKING FOR A DRUMMER AND SINGER. I PLAY BASS AND I STARTED IN HIGH SCHOOL HELPING A FRIEND OUT AND I SOON LOVED TO PLAY. SOON AFTER I A WHILE OF PLAYING I GOT INTO A RUT AND PUT MY BASS DOWN FOR 8 LONG MONTHS. WHILE I WAS ON MY SELFLOATHING RUT I JUST LOOKED AT AND LISTEN TO MUSIC AND I WANTED TO PUKE. EVEN THOUGH THERE WAS SOME GREAT MUSIC OUT THERE THE MAJORTY OF IT WAS [naughty bits deleted]. I COUDENT BELEAVE IT I SOON NOTICE A TREND FROM 1999 TO 2003 THERE WAS ALOT OF COOKE CUTTER BANDS OUT THERE I WON'T NAME NAMES THAT SOUNDED LIKE [naughty bits deleted] IT WAS JUST ONE RIFT OVER AND OVER AND YELLING LOUD ANGRY ASS YELLING. EVEN THOUGH I KNOW I'M NOT THAT GOOD I STILL KNOW I MADE BETTER MUSIC THEN THAT. WITH TRL,VH1,106&PARK AND SOME MUSIC STATIONS I WONT NAME NAMES, THE MAINSTREAM MUSIC SCENE HAS BECOME JUST A BIG ASS WHAT'S HOT AND WHAT'S NOT. BUT ITS NOT ALL GONE YET, MID 2003 SOMTHING GREAT HAPPEND, CONSUMMERS GOT WISE TO ALL THESES FLASH IN THE PAN ONE HIT WONDERS AND WENT TO THE INTERNET TO SITES LIKE THESES AND OTHERS TO FIND REAL MUSIC, PEOPLE EVEN STARTES TO GO OUT TO LOOK AT NEW BANDS AGAIN. THE INDE SCENE HAS BROGHT SO MUCH QUILITY MUSIC OUT ON THE SCENE THAT PEOPLE ONCE AGAIN STARTED TO WANT QUILITY OVER SUBSTANCE, SO MUCH SO THAT THE MAINSTREAM STARTED TO LOSE MONEY BECAUSE WE STOPED FALLING FO THE PROMO TRICKS WE STOPED BUYING CD'S BECAUSE OF ONE HIT TO FIND OUT THAT THAT'S THE ONLY GOOD SONG ON THE WHOLE DAM THING. AND WITH KAZAR WE COULD JUST DOWNLODE THE ONE SONG AND SAVE 20 BUCKS, SO TO TRY TO MAKE UP REVENU BIG LABLES LOWER PRICES ON CD'S BUT THAT DIDN'T REALLY HELP IT WAS ALREADY TO LATE PEOPLE WANT MUSIC WITH FEELING AGAIN. INDE LABLES AND UNDERGROUND BANDS ARE STARTING TO DO GREAT AND LOCAL MUSIC SCEANS ARE COMING BACK.I HOPE THIS WILL NEVER END FOR ONCE GOOD MUSIC AND NOT FAD MUSIC IS BEING RESPECTED SO WE WILL DESTROY TRL FOR WHAT THEY DID TO MUSIC LONG LIVE REAL MUSIC
THANX FOR LISTENING TO MY RANTS.

IM OUT
JERMAIN WILLIAMS BASS PLAYER
PitchBlack

(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

Hi Jermain!

I understand your feelings. However, there are a few thousand Indie bands out there who account for over 20% of records sold. Indie bands do it for the music, for the art, because they have to.

This section of the music world is formed by artists who generally have a day job because they can't make a living out of what they do. But they all have this in common: they're good and generally not interested in the Major labels.

Check out our Reviews and Interviews sections that are (almost) all about Indie artists. Hopefully it will change your mind as to what's out there.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

1) There is just as much crap now as there was twenty years ago.
2) What you consider crap is great to others.
3) Downloading AKA stealing from fellow muscicians 'to save 20 bucks' is lame. Lamer then making 'crap music'.
4) There is no such thing as 'mainstream' vs' classy artists'.
5) Posts made using only caps irritate me, and tend to make my replies sound pissed-off.

ReplyQuote
(@bejota013)

Hi Jermain!

However, there are a few thousand Indie bands out there who account for over 20% of records sold. Indie bands do it for the music, for the art, because they have to.

A-J you said it right!  Indie bands are most definetly the way to go.  I was involved with the college radio scene for a number of years; working as the music director as well.  These bands are in fact the true musicians of our day; they create their own lyrics, their own music, and many times now are producing their own CD's.  Independent music has always been around and will always be around.  Its the starting point for almost every band, many of which don't make it big, but continue to create amazing music.  Without indie artists we wouldn't have the opportunity to hear many of the bands that have been around for years; R.E.M. is the prime example.  

Jermain-
I can also understand your point and your frustration, however take a look at college radio within your town.  Sure some college stations play only the most underground music possible, but by listening we are able to gain a more eclectic taste for the art that we love.

-BeJota.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I read a report somewhere that the situation today is quite different than in the past.  In the first half of the 20th century, each new music trend largely displaced the previous genre, but today, one of the most popular styles is still 70s Classic Rock (Stones, Zep, Who, etc).  While Pop music continues to be, well, popular, the newer music styles have not displaced good old Rock'n'Roll.

If a newer artist could find a way to tap this market with new music, I think you'd see a return to the cycle of new replacing the old, which would lead to better music for all.

Um, I think...  ???

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I think there's still some mileage in good ol' Rock 'n' Roll, and until it's been exhausted then nothing will really come along with sufficient strength to mount a challenge. Punk tried to displace the old regime in the late 1970's, and it's interesting to note that not only did Punk fail to drive out the older styles but it now sits there happily alongside the regime that it tried to break.

Queen and The Sex Pistols were in adjoining studios in the late 1970's - Queen recording the (awful) "Jazz" album and The Sex Pistols working on "Never Mind The B0ll0cks" - apparently they all became great friends.

All this doesn't mean that the Punk revolution failed. What it achieved in style was herald a return to writing shorter songs after the glorious self-indulgent extravaganza that was "Bohemian Rhapsody", or anything by Emerson Lake and Palmer.

There is no progress without change, and change will come. It might just not be so loud next time.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

wasnt it kurt cobain who said that music tends to repeat itself every 10 years or so ? not so sure i totally agree with that, but its not really all that far off the mark when you think about it

besides, there's always lots of inventive and 'new' music out there on the indie scene, but it needs a pilot band, by which i mean a 'pop' version of the sound they're pioneering....much like nirvana did for grunge and the seattle scene in the early 90s. manys a great band from the area own so much to 'smells like teen spirit' and nevermind.

so if you want good music, dont look to the charts and mtv (unless its after 2am when they actually play some decent new stuff)....instead go see live bands in your local area, and you might be suprised by some of the stuff going on

peace
mord

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

3) Downloading AKA stealing from fellow muscicians 'to save 20 bucks' is lame. Lamer then making 'crap music'.

2 problems with this a) did you know that the record company get most of the money. b) a band (like metallica) have more than enough money to miss the small percentage of pay they get from one or two albums, infact do you mean to say that u have never recorded a tape for a friend or recorded something of the radio?!?! infact the post was originally there to point out that there are too many bands out for the money therefore your complaint is invalid.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Give me a friggin' break. It doesn't matter one bit where the money goes, or what they do with it. I am quite sure the owner of our local supermarket does fairly well, that doesn't mean I can take a few beers for free. You like it? You pay for it. If you take it, you are a thief.

So Metallica has plenty of money, so you can steal from them? Horsecrap. You don't steal from nobody, since you keep your little fingers of other people's stuff. No matter how much money they have, what their names are, where they live, what they do or anything else, nothing justifies stealing.

Are there many bands in it for the money? Maybe. If people like to play guitar for some cash instead of cleaning public toilets, who are you to condemn it? You don't like the band? Don't listen to their stuff. If you want to listen to it, they earned your money by making interesting music.

But go ahead. Steal, rip others off. Call yourself Robin Hood, who stole from the Big Company to save the 'scene'. I can't stop you. Hurry, I heared there was a new album on Kazaa  ::)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Allow me a soapbox moment.

I think we all need to remember that there's next to no money in art. Not for the artist, anyway - the hangers-on and the parasites make bucketloads.

I can buy CD's in my local supermarket (Tesco, in case anyone's interested) for GBP 9.97 (USD 15)

Tesco pay GBP 4.50 for them (so that's a 121% profit for them), and there's

transportation to pay
plastic cases to pay for
artwork to pay for - the little sleeve-liners and lyrics books
recording and mixing costs
and the record company still whine about how little money they're making so they take a large chunk

all of which leave a coupla cents per copy sold for the band. Anybody who says that's fair should be taken out and horsewhipped.

And yes, we've all taped an album or two for a mate, but ultimately it means that the recording band has missed out on a sale, and therefore they'll likely end up selling rat-burgers at McDonalds cos it pays better.

That's it. Rant over.

Geez. What happened to playing for fun?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

nothing new to add, except something about metallica who have been mentioned a few times in relation to stealing music.

metallica weren't pissed coz people were stealing their money, they were pissed coz people were uploading their album (st. anger) to kazaa before it had been released.
lars publically said that d/l music was fine by him, and even he did it a bit.

anyways, albums are rediculiously over priced these days, look at all the big music stores going down the tube (sam goody is the us for example)....virgin megastore are the only exception i can think of, but they sell more movies/merchandise than albums.

bands should go back to the days of eps, 5/6 great songs, no filler material, cheaper prices.
thats the way to go imo

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

so metallica didnt sue napster? <--- rhetorical question. and to promedics heres a question. i download one song from a multi millionaire, as mordeth sais musicians earn very little from the album, so i "steal" virtually nothing at all. also kazaa is supported by adverts and so money does actually go back into the industry. anyway you didnt actually answer me about recording off the radio, or recording a CD onto tape for a friend. HAVE YOU?!?!

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Friendly moderator notice #1 to remember to keep this civil.

Thanks!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

NOTE TO ADMINS (and everyone else :D ): I have the tendency to appear rather arrogant and 'holier-then-thou'. If anything I say can appear insulting or whatever, edit it out. I don't mean no insults, so if I am not very subtle somewhere, just cut it.

If you steal a $20 cd, you will steal a total of $20 from the industry. This includues the truckdriver, the guy working in the factory, the man who worked his back of to start his own recording studio, the studio who designed the sleeves, the artists who played the songs, the record company that spends millions on advertizements and promotion.
nyway you didnt actually answer me about recording off the radio, or recording a CD onto tape for a friend.

No. I do not listen to radio, since it drives me utterly nuts. I also don't copy albums for friends, those who are interested in the albums I buy usually download it before I can get it in the store. Those who do not support downloading don;t ask me for a copy.

All the folks in the music industry try to make a living. ALl of them want to eat at the end of the day, all of them want a vacation every now and then. Artists should get more money? Fine with me. But then don't complain about the prices of albums. We all demand albums for $10,-, even though that is barely enough to cover transportation/production expenses. If you want them to earn more, spend more.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

NOTE TO ADMINS (and everyone else :D ): I have the tendency to appear rather arrogant and 'holier-then-thou'. If anything I say can appear insulting or whatever, edit it out. I don't mean no insults, so if I am not very subtle somewhere, just cut it.

TOTAL ASIDE THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THREAD (sorry!):

As has been mentioned much on these pages, the written word alone can be a pain!   ;)  And I also no that, as a moderator,  I'm developing a reputation I'd rather not have. As long as everyone remembers that it's totally possible to state on opinion or an idea without (often offhandedly, I think) making a comment that someone takes the wrong way. All you've got to do is read what you write! And then pretend to be me reading it...

Anyway, things are going well here, so I guess I'll go back to packing! Can't wait 'til all this craziness is goine by.

Peace

AND NOW BACK TO OUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2