Notifications
Clear all

The Stratocaster Rainbow.

39 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

rosewood f-board, vintage white, tortoiseshell pickguard (ditto for Jazzmaster)

maple f-board, black, MOTS pickguard (ditto for Tele, but no pickguard)

ebony f-board, foam blue (worn from playing, but not 'relic'), parchment or aged-white pickguard

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner:

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i love my mettalic red american strat, not as much as my les paul, but its a beautiful guitar 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

How could anyone love a Strat as much as a Les Paul? :lol:

I'm joking people, I realize that Strats are amazing guitars as well :D Just not as amazing as a Les Paul

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

its hard but,it happens :twisted:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Nope, the only thing I'll ever love more than a Les Paul is my SG. Which, as I see it, is a Les Paul with the major flaws eliminated :wink:

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

After playing nothing but my 24" scale Jaguar for the last two weeks, I'm not sure if I can go back to 25.5" Strats. I picked up my Strat today and went......."wow, the frets are really far apart."

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Well, this is actually a tone induced topic!!!!
As far as actual looks go - I prefer the older pastel colors, as a strat to me is such a 50's icon.
And as far as looks, feel, and playability go - maple fretboards are my choice. (especially old ones with wear marks-cool)
Here's the thing tho -
I have an '88 strat American with an olympic white finish on an alder body with a maple fretboard. The finish is urethane.
I also have a '71 strat with a 3 color burst on an ash body with a rosewood fretboard. The finish is supposedly part urethane/
part nitro lacquer.
The '71 sounds 100 times better.
In my opinion - guitars are made to sound good more than look good.
If you want good tone - White Blonde nitro lacquer finish on ash body with a brazillian slab rosewood fretboard.
The ash/rosewood is the ultimate tone wood combo. And nitro lac. lets the wood vibrate more.
Maple fretboards are colder and faster.
Rosewood boards have a much warmer tone and the notes bloom and decay slowly and sweetly.
Also - I'm a single coil kinda guy.
And to all you Gibbo guys with humbuckers - can't touch a Fender. :D
Fenders have such an organic sound. The wood can clearly be heard, even when it's overdriven.
Then a Fender takes on a dual sound - fuzzy with the clean woody sound lurking just beneath it.
Gibbo/Humbuckers are too electronic sounding - for me anyway.
Also there's the matter of the bridge on a strat.
The newer 2 point ones with the offset screw saddles were made to 'tone down' that twangy fender sound.
There seems to be a lot of negativity about the old original 6 screw bridges with the 50's style stamped steel saddles -
best tone though.
And I would never buy anything that was pre-worn. Unless it IS actually vintage.
Just my opinion

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@nirvgas)
Estimable Member

For something modern I like the mirror pickguard on either a black or platinum strat. I like the vintage look just as much, though, and would have to say that the tobacco sunburst tops the list.

Life is my friend
Rake it up to take it in
Wrap me in your cinnamon
Especially in Michigan
...well I could be your friend- RHCP

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3