Clear all

The ULTIMATE inspiration killer...

18 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

...is when you are playing, right in the middle of a *sweet* improvised solo, completely in the zone, loving what you are hearing and almost can't believe that your fingers are doing everything right....................and a string snaps.

:evil:

That happened to me an hour ago!

Of course, I quickly replaced the string (and the other 5 for good measure :lol:) but that was it, I had left the 'zone', and now I'm annoyed :x

Just need to rant that away.

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

total bummer :x

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

yep, that sucks :evil:

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

how about when you have a break through and every tom, "dick", and harry wants to interrupt. Nothing pisses me off more than when they see you are in the middle of playing, that its not a guitar your holding, but a microphone to talk away in you ear :evil:

"I'm not doing somehthing here" :!:

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

...is when you are playing, right in the middle of a *sweet* improvised solo, completely in the zone, loving what you are hearing and almost can't believe that your fingers are doing everything right....................and a string snaps.

What I don't get is:
I've seen a couple of guys break their string while playing in front of a crowd and they change their string there on the fly?
I don't know how they do this? It only takes them a minute or two....

For me it's big production... get the right string... lay the guitar down... get the puller... etc. tune it ....etc.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

been there, done that, have several t-shirts.

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Heh! Not even close ... this is a play-through-it situation. You've got five more strings to break. Floating trem you say? Just another challenge, but can be done.

Your own death: Now that would be the ultimate inspiration killer ... and maybe only for you. It might actually inspire someone else to song. :P

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

What I don't get is:
I've seen a couple of guys break their string while playing in front of a crowd and they change their string there on the fly?
I don't know how they do this? It only takes them a minute or two....

Once you've done it enough times it doesnt take long to change just one string, although doing it under pressure while on stage is probably quite another thing!

Now, changing the string while managing to still fill in your parts of the song....THATS a TRUE challenge! :lol:

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member

I guess now's a good time to mention this. I'm sure a few of you have seen this as well.
The first SRV show I ever watched (VHS) one of his strings broke mid-solo, and it seemed to not have phased him in the least. He just kept on playing his solo, while the (not sure if it was G or B) string was just dangling there.
I was so impressed and amazed at that. Once he was finished with the solo, there was a new guitar being brought to him onstage, so he practically never stopped playing.

Guess it didn't kill his inspiration. He IS SRV though. Was....R.I.P.

[Edit] I actually found some footage of the event. =]

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-5-60ucPN30

Just have a watch.

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

ReplyQuote
(@johnnycobra)
Eminent Member

oh wow! the way he switched guitars at the end was like a race car changing tires at a pit stop.

-Cobra

Do You Make These Guitar Playing Mistakes? FREE guitar eBook exposes the Six Biggest Mistakes guitarists make that destroys their progress. Free instant download at StartRocking.com

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Wow, it's like even the roadie had practiced for just this occassion.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I saw a band in Gastonia, NC and the guitar player was really good and he was ripping the solo to Freebird and broke his B string..and it didn't pahse him a bit..just continued on like nothing ever happened..it amazed me

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

It pays to know some theory so you can grab those notes elsewhere on the fretboard.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It pays to know some theory so you can grab those notes elsewhere on the fretboard.

if you think about it, it's more akin to 'in practice' than 'in theory'

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2