Clear all

The Worst Guitar Cable Ever

13 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

After some recent purchases at Guitar Center, I received a postcard in the mail offering a choice of a free set of strings, free 10' instrument cable, or a couple other freebies with my next purchase.

Well I needed strings, and needed another cable, so I bought the strings and got the cable for free.

Words can hardly describe how bad this cable is.

It causes a crackling noise with only the slightest of movements. It causes intermittent pops and more crackles even if I'm sitting still and strumming. It hisses. It's evil! GC should be ashamed for giving away such trash. :evil:

I bought a Planet Waves cable and have no more troubles. Just wanted to warn you GC shoppers - pay for a better cable, get the free strings instead. There's no way they can be as bad as the cable!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Good choice...I use Planet Waves cables, they were reccommended to me by the assistant in the guitar shop....he could have reccommended more expensive cables, but he said he used PW cables himself...so I've got a couple of them now...

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@slipkid)
Eminent Member

Worst cable????
Any kind that I end up buying. :x

Ovation....
Belly up to the bowl boys!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

The cable I received with my V-Tone Package crackled and hummed like you mentioned. I purchased a $3.99 20ft cable from Musician's Friend and it works great.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I got a free 10' cable from GC when I bought my Schecter, I actually thought I had something wrong with the guitar.
I bought a 20' Planet Waves cable and have never had another problem.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I bought a 10' Fender Vintage Voltage cable about a year ago. About a week ago it started crackling and popping so I took the plug off, stripped the wires back an inch or so and soldered it back on.

ReplyQuote
(@shan65)
Eminent Member

That is funny i did the same thing with my postcard. Next time i am gonna go with the strings. That cable is garbage. I realized after a ferw days it is the same kind of cable they gave me for free when i bought my tele from them. Which after a week was used as a tie down strap when i moved.

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

You guys are going to have fun with my cable comparison review coming online next week or the following (as soon as Paul has finished moving his stuff and can put it up). Complete with soundbytes. I compared Evidence, Spectraflex, Whirlwind, Horizon, Digiflex, Lava and George L. All good cables, you understand, but there will be some technical points explaining what makes for a good cable. Soundwise is another matter, for example, I don't like the sound of the George L at all. That doesn't make it a bad cable, but it's not my cup of tea. You'll be able to listen to the comparitive soundbytes and make up your own minds.

Later there will be a review of a new Spectraflex and of Planet waves. These will be compared to this review.

ReplyQuote
(@gleystee)
Trusted Member

I look forward to reading your article. It seems that I am always doomed with cables, no matter which kind I buy. One time I even let the guy in the music shop talk me into a Monster cable which cost me an arm and a leg. It still ended up popping and cracking (though I think it was due to something I did to it rather than the cable itself :roll: ). Either way, I need a new cable now, but I think I will hold off and read your review.

ReplyQuote
(@rockerman)
Reputable Member

i like monster cables, gleystee, take that cable back. they will give you a new one.

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Hey A-J, any chance of getting some of the more common cables in there? I doubt most people have the kind of brands you're talking about available to them.

I'd like to see a good comparison of Monster, Ernie Ball, Fender, Mogami, stuff I'm likely to see at a local store.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I have and use Fender cables, have a bunch of them all different lengths for my amps and boxes. I buy them from musiciansfriend but they are probably everywhere.

I also have a long extension chord that I got from them also, looks like a wound up telephone chords so I can walk around the livingroom while practicing. It is generic and I know I didn't pay much for it. No problems.

The only cable related problems are the same with all my electric guitars....the jack themselves fall apart. First thing I do now is take them out and crank them down with blue lock-tite and then forget about it. 8)

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

George L you can buy just about anywhere. Digiflex is available everywhere in Canada and soon in the US. Spectraflex should be easy enough to find, same for Horizon. Evidence you'll get at specialty shops (it's expensive but quite worth it). Lava you can get on the net.

Fender refuse to send anything for review in Canada so it won't happen. They're the most uncooperative company I've come across so far.

Let me know what brands are in American stores and I'll attempt to get samples for review.

ReplyQuote