Skip to content
These Quarter Note ...

Notifications
Clear all

These Quarter Note Rests Are Kicking My A ... Behind.

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rooster-smith)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Was trying to cut through the Hal Leonard second book today. Trying to get through a page a day.

gonna take more than a day to get through the page I'm on now.

Can't play along with the metronome. Had that sucker down to 50 beats per minute, couldn't keep time.

Really humbled right now. I know that there is no way to do it except to do it. That's my mission tomorrow.

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I know that there is no way to do it except to do it. That's my mission tomorrow.
Thats the spirit! I think that is one of the reasons why it is easier if we learn when we are young. Our heads are hard and we don't give up. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Can't play along with the metronome. Had that sucker down to 50 beats per minute, couldn't keep time.

Have you tried tapping your foot along with the metronome as well? That may help.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Was trying to cut through the Hal Leonard second book today. Trying to get through a page a day.

gonna take more than a day to get through the page I'm on now.

Really humbled right now. I know that there is no way to do it except to do it. That's my mission tomorrow.

Well I think it comes down to the fact that if its too easy, your not learning much more then you allready know. So be thankfull you are hitting a rough patch. that means your learning something that will allow you to progress after you get it down. So take your time, and keep at it. If it takes doing it at 40-50 BPM.... well thats what it takes. hang in there and keep up the progress!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Tips:

1. Don't go TOO slow. It's actually harder to play accurately at very slow tempi (say, less than 50bpm) than faster ones.

2. If a rhythm is tough, count it and clap it before trying to play it. Get a handle on the rhythm by itself first; then try playing it on just one note on the guitar, following the rhythm only... then add the pitch variations in the melody.

3. Counting out loud can really help. As a teacher once told me, "if you can't say it, you can't play it"

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote