Skip to content
Thinking about maki...

Notifications
Clear all

Thinking about making an improved version of this.

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@damien-gray)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-pvc-multiple-guitar-stand/

My version is going to be a bit more advanced however.

Features:
-Amp Stand
-Pick holder
-Part holder
-Holds 2 electric guitar, one electric bass, and one acoustic guitar

Measurements:
-Width of rack (no amp stand): 3 feet
-Width of rack (with amp stand): 4 feet
-Height of rack: 3 - 4 feet (undecided)
-Depth: 1.5 feet or so (undecided)

I drew up some blue prints for it, but my scanner isn't working correctly.

I'm going to use foam like that guy did as well. The amp rack is going to look like a barbecue grill. I may or may not spraypaint it black. The pick holder is going to be on the left bar of the rack, notched in or something of the sort.

I'm open to any suggestions, and I'm going to be buying the parts sometime this month (hopefully, out of work at the moment), so expect a development thread when I do.

My guitars:
http://damiengray.ath.cx/guitar/strat_body.jpg
http://damiengray.ath.cx/guitar/strat_and_star.jpg

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Cool!

Maybe add a side-car "cozy" for keeping soda/beer cans cold. :lol:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Interesting idea using the pvc pipe & foam.

+1 for a cup holder! :P

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Cool!

Maybe add a side-car "cozy" for keeping soda/beer cans cold. :lol:

:lol:
Refrigeration lines so there's no need to buy ice!

Cool idea Damien!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Amp stand? Unless the amp is very close to floor level, I doubt PVC tubing of a reasonable diameter is rigid enough to support with good stability any but small, light-weight amps.

On the other hand .... One of less-obvious flaws in most of the designs on that link is the overall lack of stability: bases are too small on many given how light-weight a PVC structure is. So, IF a PVC structure built to cradle a moderate- to light-weight amp at a low center of gravity, that would offer increased stability, i.e. less "tippability." Your depth of 1.5 ft seem maginal, unless it's going into a captive space such as a closet.

Another thing to watch is the foams and padding used. Many seem guitar-friendly, but over a long period of release chemicals that can damage guitar finishes.

What diameter tubing do you plan to use? Interested in seeing your design.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@frankyl)
Eminent Member

It's a nice idea. I may get a stand for Christmas, but this is the next option if I don't. I agree with the above, though - I've seen pictures of the damage bad foam can do to a guitar (including, but not limited to, leaving bits stuck to the finish). If I do it, I might consider covering the foam, maybe with a piece of canvas or the like. I'll have to look into it.

As to the stability, gnease couldn't be more right. PVC is light. But it's also hollow, and the base could likely be weighted pretty easily. If I were building this, I think I would make a point of either finding a way that the base could be filled for added weight or attached to added weight, to provide stability. Or, if it's certain to stay in one place for a long time, maybe even attached to the wall behind it. The link is a great jumping off point for ideas, though.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I've filled 18-in long sections of 4-in diameter PVC with concrete to make weights (capped, with eye-bolts on one end). That weighting method would work for what FrankyL suggests. ... and in my case, been very satisfied with the results, as I don't believe any of those bodies ever resurfaced. :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

add an extra slot in case you buy another guitar some time down the road.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I have a guitar stand I keep at home that holds 6 guitars (can't think of the make at the moment). It is pretty good, but if I had to think of an improvement, I would also put seperators on the bottom. The seperators at the top keep your guitars necks seperated, but you have to be careful with the body of the guitars to keep them from hitting each other. Not a huge problem, but you have to use a little care. You don't always get the guitars all at the same angle, hope you know what I mean. I think it would be an improvement with small bars or seperators at the bottom as well, the guitars would have to go in at a specific angle and the bodies would be prevented from touching. Of course, you would have to allow greater space for acoustics.

My 2 cents. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote