Clear all

This is D maj?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Someone give this video a watch. This says D maj. I don't hear d maj. I hear d minor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDoA6UKPrfM

(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I hear major....I don't hear that F.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

The overall tonality is definitely D major. In some of the guitar parts, the F natural note is played - most notably at the end of the second measure of the two-measure pattern where where the F note on the sixth string is slightly bent before hitting a low D to start the pattern again (note that the sixth string of that guitar has been dropped to D).

And then when the song does the bit with the rhythm breaks, that would be over a G chord. Adding an F natural there creates a G7, which sounds fine with the general tone and mood of this particular piece.

A lot of country guitarists play a mix of minor and major thirds in their riffs and soloing. It's pretty much a stylistic nuance of the genre. But if you strum a D chord through the first few measures you can hear how it fits along. If you strum a D minor chord, it definitely clashes with the overall tonality of this backing track.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@peaveyusa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm guess I'm referring to improv. I tried to improve a D maj scale. That clashed, whereas a dminor just harmonized with it. When I search for backing tracks I search by scale and this came up D maj and it did not sound well lol

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you're right, a d minor pentatonic fits better.

ReplyQuote