Clear all

to Use or Upgrade the Stock Fender Pickups for Metal

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@forkoftuning)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

How much difference would a pickup change would make here?

Using my Fender Aerodyne Strat [Japanese=SSH] for about half a year now, I like a somewhat heavier sound & use it to play different types of metal. Right now through a nice multieffects unit that has more than enough; [eq,compress,noisegate,distortion,cabinet .. ..] options for me to experiment with and find a nice sound. Since I have enough money right now to drop on upgrading pickups (or likely just the humbucker], and virtually band I like is using SD or EMG's, Im wondering if im really missing out here.

Upgrading the stock fender humbucker to a SeymourDunc SH-4 JB & [if also] the single coils to something hotter would really make a noticable difference?

The only arguements for the change; for awhile before when learning to palm mute I assumed I was doing it wrong due to the quite weak sound I was achieving, although somewhat countered it by adjusting equipment settings. Also I think the standard pickup tone is pretty low, I'm almost always needing to ramp up the treble on the eq with every patch.
These could be due to other non-pickup factors, but has anyone after a change of pickups really said 'wow, this is a huge change', or is the difference subtile and mostly in the amp/effects?

Thanks.

(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Is the pickup cavity a pool design do you know? If it is, you could buy a pre-wired pickguard with two humbuckerks, and that should do the trick I would think.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

http://cgi.ebay.ca/FENDER-STRATOCASTER-FAT-STRAT-PICKGUARD-2-HUMBUCKERS_W0QQitemZ250044632402QQihZ015QQcategoryZ41424QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Something like that.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Instead of the SH-4 why not a Dimebucker. Those are pretty popular right now in the metal community. That or A passive EMG

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@forkoftuning)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Would two humbuckers really make a better sound over a single, or just be louder?

90% of the time I use only the humbucker anyhow, as there are quite a bit of metal guitarists with a single one in the bridge completely swapping out the pickguard would be overdoing it. My pickguards knobs are slightly different also from the american version so it would be hard to find.

As far as possible pickups to use, I know there are a lot of good choices but was more concerned about if the change will make a small 5% improvement, or completely open up a new range of sounds much closer to the genre i like. Although I think some fender playing metal artists exist, im 99% sure they would swap out the stock pups.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I think you'd find a big difference in having a neck humbucker for that style of music. The singles on a strat are not going to produce the bottom line that you are looking for... a humbucker at the neck will make playing those galloping rhythms much nicer to listen to...

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@sito71)
Estimable Member

what about a hotrails in the neck position, no swimminpool route needed as it's the same size as a single coil and they are pretty hot n heavy...would go good with the bridge bucker.

although personally i just have an s/s/s/ strat ...am dlx with S1... i also play punk and metal and i find i can get a very heay sound when dialed in right wth the right pedals and e.q....also the S1 is really handy for thickening rythm sounds.

ReplyQuote