Tone..the never ending quest!

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey

Im trying to get a better tone. I like what I have now, its a real nice sound. Basically its a "hard-rock-metal" tone. Thats really the only way i know how to describe it...or better yet, its closer to a marshall sound than a mesa--if that helps. The thing is, I am trying to get that buzz-saw metal sound....think dime bag from pantera...i mean his tone, both rythm and solo is amazing!

How do u go about getting that type sound?

me:
washburn x 50, dixon loaded with EMGs through a
Peavy xxx head, vintage 30s

(monster and george l cables)

my pedal board is
ibanez delay, boss super chorus, super overdrive, 7 band eq, and a dunlop cry baby.

Should i put the EQ in the effect loop, then leave it on? that and the EQ? Pull the gain back and let the EQ and OD do the work?

Im really not sure how to go about getting that tone. Tha bright, heavy, buzz saw pantera sound. and since my time is very short...school work, etc, any help would be great!

RIP Dimebag

(@evolution)
Estimable Member

Here is his setup:

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/415/

ReplyQuote
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yea, ive seen that, problem is, they dont tell u his settings, how he uses what.... they just say what he uses, and i am looking to get that similiar sound with what I have....which isnt what he has...lol.

help?

RIP Dimebag

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You might try putting the EQ after the OD and boosting the highs and high mids with it, but that's just my guess.

ReplyQuote
(@tkn_dk)
Trusted Member

Sorry that this is a bit off topic, but after looking at that guitargeek site, and seeing how people set their things up, I'm curious as to why some setups seem to have the effect pedals in an effect loop, and others have them just between the guitar and the amp. Could anyone elaborate on the hows and whys of gear setups, or maybe point me towards a good ressource. This thread got me curious about the possibilities.

All I want is food and creative love.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Sorry that this is a bit off topic, but after looking at that guitargeek site, and seeing how people set their things up, I'm curious as to why some setups seem to have the effect pedals in an effect loop, and others have them just between the guitar and the amp. Could anyone elaborate on the hows and whys of gear setups, or maybe point me towards a good ressource. This thread got me curious about the possibilities.
If you put effects in the effects loop then you can adjust things with your amp's preamp before the effects. If you want a signal boost or want to tweak the tone with the knobs on your amp before your effects then an effects loop will get that done. If you'd rather do all that to the output from you effects then you want to go straight into the amp from your guitar through your effects. Of course, you could also put some of your effects in the loop and some before. Deciding what to put in the loop and what not to is something you've got to experiment with to learn. You need to know what your preamp will do to the sound and where in your signal chain you want that to happen.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you appera to have good enough equipment.
your pverdrive pedal will not give you the distortion you want tho.
overdrive is for warm overd driven tube tones. much mellower than the grinding metal tones.
look for a distortion not overdrive pedal.

I cant reccomend any, because I do the overdrive thing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well, i used the OD, as i got the idea from zakk wylde, before he had his sig. pedal, he used the sd-1 over a dirty channel, it makes it a little brighter, but thats it, so i know what u mean. Except, a distortion pedal over a distorted channel...pardon my obvious ignorance, i was always told that it will sound like crap, and a distortion effect tries to distort the sound, so if it does that to an already distorted sound....it ends bad, or so ive heard. never tried it, so i wouldnt know....

basically sounds like i have alot of experimenting to do ay?

RIP Dimebag

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you are right. a distortion pedal over a high gain or distorted amp will sound ...confusing.
many times I ve tried to grunge up or metalize my tone. I hear something and want to reproduce it, but cant.
I use a modified Tubescreamer. it has a nice tight compression but it lacks in that typical grind one hears in metal.
I get more of a Cream sound or Nirvanna at best.

maybe you need that signature pedal?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Hmmm... I dunno. I idolize Zakk Wylde and his sound is close to mine (plus some Muff and Octave stuff of my own). But his sound is really not that hard to obtain with most of what you've got. I do this with my Peavey 6505. Guitar > EQ > Overdrive > Octave Pedal.

It gives me pretty much all the heavy sound I need. Especially if I distort the Octave Pedal. That way I have the crunch behind single note riffs and scale runs.

I dunno though. If your going for the muddy Marshal sound, overdrive usually does the trick on a dirty channel. But then again I am also using EMG active pickups.

Maybe it is a question of the guitar itself? Hope this could help.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@shift)
Estimable Member

tough one, the triple XXX, gives you a sound some between a mesa/marshall sound, stock to my ears, with a lean towards a mesa.

I like the sound of a stock triple XXX better than dimebag's tone anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I recommend rubbing this on your hands:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@aroomadazda)

Heavy strings + high action + heavy pick + strong fingers = Good Tone

The rest is just small incremental improvements.

I never did mind about the little things

ReplyQuote
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

well, i found it.

not through my half stack..its at the drummers, but through my 80 wat valvestate marshall....
clean channel, mxr double shot distortion, boss eq, sounds killer. turn on a little delay, it makes it sound liek 2 guitars are playing, its killer! just noisy, really noisy, so i gotta get a noise gate...but still im happy :)

RIP Dimebag

ReplyQuote