http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/tone-tips-901/

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

Snake oil.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

And .. with the higher action when the settlers circle the wagons you can use your guitar to shoot arrows at them. :P

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

it may be a bit overstated and not well explained, but I agree with the basic premise that raising strings can improve timbre. a higher string can be played more dynamically than a low one.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

it may be a bit overstated and not well explained, but I agree with the basic premise that raising strings can improve timbre. a higher string can be played more dynamically than a low one.

Certainly agree that higher strings can be played more dynamically, but it's the increased dynamics that can improve timbre, not string height by itself. And thus the argument that tone is in the fingers! :D

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

By sheer accident I think I'm already there. I haven't had my guitars set up with that "Low to the frets" configuration. Some of my guitarist friends don't like my setups but I find that I'm so used to it, I'm okay with it.

Sometimes luck of the naive is a good thing. :oops:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Gabba: I believe I wrote it was not well explained. few things are. nevertheless, there is a valid point to be fished out of this, and few players seem to understand it: low action often limits the timbre range of the instrument. whether or not one considers fret slapping and buzz a characteristic of the player or the guitar or both really isn't going to be as important as getting people to try a potentially good idea. and raising the action a bit higher than the minimum possible is a good idea in IMNSHO. so is going up a gauge or two, as it results in many of the same benefits w/o changing the action. and that's for an electric.

In thinking about an acoustic, the situation might be even more complex: I could see where bridge height could influence timbre directly, as the geometry of the connection of the strings to the top definitely affects stresses on the top, as well as coupling of strings and top at fundamental and harmonics. that would be a direct timbral change w/o player interaction.

just calling BS on it is a little non-specific, eh?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Gibson Tone Tip #2: Buy Gibson!

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

This is something I've done for years as a result of my right hand techniques. Besides "normal" plectrum and finger picking techniques, I'll use bass style slaps and pops to get different types of attacks. It means I like a slightly higher action and heavier strings than most of my guitar playing buddies. In short, I beat the snot outta my strings.

I've also got a pretty decided preference for a wound 3rd string, as opposed to plain steel, which again drives my string gauge up, since wound strings break easier than plain steel. Right now my preferred Fender scale length set is D'Addario EXL 110w and EXL 115w for my Gibson scale axes.

I also tend to prefer "vintage" output pickups rather than the higher gain modern ones. Again, because of the picking techniques I'll use, lower output pickups seem to respond more predictably without unintentionally overdriving an amp input.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

This is something I've done for years as a result of my right hand techniques. Besides "normal" plectrum and finger picking techniques, I'll use bass style slaps and pops to get different types of attacks. It means I like a slightly higher action and heavier strings than most of my guitar playing buddies. In short, I beat the snot outta my strings.

+1 it's fun

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i can't bend strings that are too low. my fingers slip over the strings instead of pushing them from the side.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

You guys use strings on your guitars? :o

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

:lol:
have you been playing guitar hero again?

ReplyQuote
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

Ok, I'll bite.
low action often limits the timbre range of the instrument.

HOW?

I agreed with you that higher action affords greater playing dynamics, which can lead to a perception of better tone. And if one is getting clanking and buzz when playing, in my opinion the strings are too low. But the idea that simply raising stings a 32nd of an inch or so from the fretboard will somehow improve a solid body electric guitar's sound is silly.

I'll happily change my opinion if you can prove otherwise. :D
while your strings might not buzz noticeably, their vibrational arc is more than likely still inhibited by the proximity of the frets

ROFL.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Height of the strings from the pickups makes a big tonal difference, of course.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3