Notifications
Clear all

Tone Tone Tone!

44 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

Well, I finally put a set of flat wound strings on my OE30, and I have to say that Moai was right.....what a difference!!

I liked the way this guitar sounded before, but I'm absolutely loving it now. Someone mentioned how a certain guitar just "wants" a certain kind of string, and I have to say, there might be something to that. This thing now has a smooth, dark sound that I didn't know it was capable of.

Thanks for the tip, Moai.

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I wish I could take credit, but it's all twistedlefty! :D

I can't stop playing mine. It's becoming my main axe. I didn't realize how much I like jazzy tones until the swap.

What do you think of it distorted? I find that with some drive on it it still carries that warmth with it, that surprised me. It gets less muddy, it seems.

Glad that you dig it! Little things like this make guitar that much more fun.

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

Well, then, thanks Twistedlefty :)

It's awesome distorted. I was quite surprised by that as well. You're right in that it seems less muddy. I suppose that can be explained by the lack of complex harmonic overtones and such (that stuff is a bit over my head, so I defer to people like gnease for a proper explanation).

The only downside that I've been able to discern so far is that I have a hard time getting that bright, jangly tone out of these strings. But I have a Strat for that.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

thanx for the credit but to be honest it was suggested to me by a guy i know that plays mostly jazz.
i showed him my OE-30 when i first got it and we both went down to MF so he could get one for himself.

as we were waiting for the stock guys to bring it up from the warehouse he went searching for "flats" and so i got an earfull about how he liked them on his gibson. anyhoo i bought some for myself and was really pleased with the sound and feel.
the only thing i don't like is they seem to wear out a lot quicker :lol:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

I wasn't able to find D'addario chromes, as was suggested. My local music store had some Fender stainless steel flats. One thing I have noticed is that the G string seems to be round wound, and is very anemic sounding compared to the D string above. Any idea what's up with that?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Really? Roundwound G? Not nice -- sounds like a cost savings measure. Chromes are better than Fenders. If you like the Fenders, mail order the D'Addarios.

Another -- though usually pricier -- option is Thomastik Infeld or simply TI's. Many jazzers feel TI makes the best flatwounds.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

Really? Roundwound G? Not nice -- sounds like a cost savings measure. Chromes are better than Fenders. If you like the Fenders, mail order the D'Addarios.

Another -- though usually pricier -- option is Thomastik Infeld or simply TI's. Many jazzers feel TI makes the best flatwounds.

I could be wrong, I guess. When I run a pick or a fingernail down the string, it sure SOUNDS like a round wound string. Maybe it's just that the "flat" winding is just much thinner than on the other strings??? But I don't think so. In any case, I can definitely hear the difference when I play.

I'll order some Chromes.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

BTW, the whimpy G-string sound might simply be the switch from unwound to wound (of any type). You might try raising the pole pieces for the G to boost its output.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

TIs are great for Jazzy stuff.

I always experiment with strings. They are the cheapest improvement/tonal change you can make.

That and keeping them relatively fresh.

I still use Dean Markley Blue Steel as my standard string, but I'm also playing a lot with Dean Markley Signature series Vintage Bronze, ghs vintage bronze on my 12 string and DR extra life, (in all Black).

Occasionally I switch to EJ-16s or even Martin Silk and Steel.

It's like playing completely different instruments.

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

BTW, the whimpy G-string sound might simply be the switch from unwound to wound (of any type). You might try raising the pole pieces for the G to boost its output.

I can raise an individual pole piece?? How is that done?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

It's pretty simple. The pup screws that lie beneath each string are the adjustable polepieces. For humbuckers, there is usually one (and sometimes two) adjustable polepiece(s) per string, per pup. Use a screwdriver (or allen wretch, if appropriate) to turn the screw(s) beneath the string of interest. Counterclockwise should raise the polepiece. Make sure you don't raise any polepieces so high that they interfer with the strings. There should be some clearance to the polepieces even with the string fretted at the highest fret.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

It's pretty simple. The pup screws that lie beneath each string are the adjustable polepieces. For humbuckers, there is usually one (and sometimes two) adjustable polepiece(s) per string, per pup. Use a screwdriver (or allen wretch, if appropriate) to turn the screw(s) beneath the string of interest. Counterclockwise should raise the polepiece. Make sure you don't raise any polepieces so high that they interfer with the strings. There should be some clearance to the polepieces even with the string fretted at the highest fret.

Maybe I'm missing I'm something. My pole pieces are flat-faced, no slots or anything. I can see how I could raise the entire PUP, one side or the other, but not how to raise individual poles.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Maybe I'm missing I'm something. My pole pieces are flat-faced, no slots or anything. I can see how I could raise the entire PUP, one side or the other, but not how to raise individual poles.

Totally unexpected! Most exposed-coil humbuckers have at least one set of adjustable polepieces. But .... I just took a closer look at your OE30 photo -- you are correct, they are not adjustable. Oh well.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

Totally unexpected! Most exposed-coil humbuckers have at least one set of adjustable polepieces. But .... I just took a closer look at your OE30 photo -- you are correct, they are not adjustable. Oh well.

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to get some new strings. Thanks anyway.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3