Clear all

Too late to learn theory?

15 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@quicksand)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok i am going to be a sophmore next year and i am going to start learning theory. I know very little, maybe one scale. I want to be a producer/studio hand and im pretty sure they require you to know theory. Am i too late?

(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Are you a 60 year old sophmore, because that'd probably be too late (matter of opinion). It's better if you had already learned music theory, when you were two, but you are a long ways from being too late to start learning music theory.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

sophomore in highschool or college???

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No, he's too late. If he wants to start reading some theory in 2007 he should have requested the right to learn it before november 1st, 2006. Maybe Nick will make an exception for you but I fear you'll have to disregard all theory this year.

ReplyQuote
(@quicksand)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

going to be a sophmore in college

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

As folks are letting you know, it's never too late. As for the record, I have some students in their sixties (and one in her seventies, bless her heart) who are learning theory. I'm sure Alan Green has at least one student in that range as well.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Yep - sausage-fingered Mick, who started learning guitar at the delicate age of 62, so called because he has fingers like a pound of best pork and beef and can stop three strings with each one, and who can fingerpick Everybody Hurts like a good 'un.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

never too late!

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I'm holding off on learning theory, gonna start in 2 years to celebrate my 60th birthday.

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

You are only too late if you are posting this from the grave. :-)

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@midiwiz)

I took music theory in my mid 20's. I've forgotten alot of it since. I'll take a refresher course in about 12 years.................when I hit 60........

ReplyQuote
(@saint_duud)
Trusted Member

You are only too late if you are posting this from the grave. :-)

I don't know. If he can post, what else can he do from beyond the grave?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Have you checked with the RIAA? They've learnt that all of the catalogue of copyright material makes use of music theory and is, therefore, covered by their copyright. It may no longer be legal to learn music theory.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member

Nope! If you're still in school, I'm pretty sure its not nearly too late to start learning theory. You still have the opportunity to take some classes that actually give you college credit, which I'm sure will be recognized when searching for a studio job. There are studio folks who are self taught, or learned theory later on, so you actually have an advantage. If its what you want to do, go ahead and do it now

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

ReplyQuote
(@seansdadj)

I believe it's never too late to learn anything. I say you should go for it. :)

ReplyQuote