Clear all

Too much humidity for my acoustic?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, It's been raining where I live for the past week, and isn't going to stop until the weekend. This is very unusual weather for around here. My hygrometer has read 53-58% RH for the past few days, which is quite a bit higher than the usual humidity level, and quite a bit higher than my acoustics recommended humidity level, 44%. Should I be worried?

I keep it in a case, any household items that are good at absorbing moisture? It wouldn't be any use for me to buy a dehumidifier as this is very unusual for where I live, and I would rarely ever use it. Thanks for any ideas.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

uncooked rice absorbs moisture.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's not high enough humidity to be worrisome, anyway.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thats a good suggestion Jason, didn't think of that, but I think I was overeacting a bit. I looked around the internet and it seems that most agree that under-humidying an acoustic is much more dangerous than over humidifying it. Thanks for backing that up Ricochet.

I was only worried because it is new and and I recently spent all my money on it. That and I absolutely love playing it.

The RH around here will never get above 60%, but just out of curiosity, how much RH is too much?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Some builders say prolonged exposure to more than 75% RH can cause problems.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

rollnrock...aren't you from the philly area? I am, and we've had mad rain and its pouring as i write this.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, its ridiculous! I live in delaware, 30 minutes from philly. It's been raining everyday for the past week, and when its not raining, its very humid and feels like it'll start pouring any second. This is supposed to go on till the weekend here. Where in the philly area do you live?

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

in the northeast, about 5 minutes from the city border. It's called Bensalem.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

rice man....rice

$MAX$

ReplyQuote