Clear all

Too Much Time On My Hands

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@andy-kirkbride)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Great song, but not what this is about, lol.

I recently became a stay-at-home dad. My kids are in school during the day, so I have 2-3 hrs of total guitar time. I have played on and off for a few yrs, with no real practice structure. I was hoping now that i have so much time, i could really start busting a move on my learning. Can anyone tell me what kind of practice schedule they would recommend for me? Ie. 30 mins chords, 30 mins scales? I am one of those people who need structure, or I will just sit in front of my comp and play tabs all day. Thanks in advance.

Andy.

Gibson Ls Paul Studio (Black)
Gibson Flying V (Faded Cherry)
B.C. Rich Warlock (Green Tribal)
PRS Paul Allender SE (Purple Sunburst, Bat inlays)
Dean V Acoustic

Peavey VK 100 Head
Peavey Half Stack

Digitech DeathMetal Pedal
Boss Multi-Effect Pedal

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Andy!

The main site has several articles on practicing. This one ( https://www.guitarnoise.com/help/practice-time/ ) is more or less an introduction to others.

I always prefer a structured practicing as well. Usually I study with instruction books and I perform every exercise in them. Sometimes I also add other songs from time to time.

What kind of music do you want to play now?

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

yeah, check the article Nuno mentioned. Without knowing your current ability and what kind of music you want to play, it's hard to tell you what to practice and how much time to spend on each topic.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@andy-kirkbride)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input, and sorry for my delay in getting back. I would say a Im a complete beginner. I know a few chords, but I tend to satt playing tabs to my favorite songs. I probably need to memorize more chords and start playing scales. My main music interest is Metal. I hope this little bit of info helps you, help me. LOL! TIAV

Andy

Gibson Ls Paul Studio (Black)
Gibson Flying V (Faded Cherry)
B.C. Rich Warlock (Green Tribal)
PRS Paul Allender SE (Purple Sunburst, Bat inlays)
Dean V Acoustic

Peavey VK 100 Head
Peavey Half Stack

Digitech DeathMetal Pedal
Boss Multi-Effect Pedal

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

Well I'm liking this new lesson; 'Seven Secrets to Six-String Success' by Kale Good. Ecspecially the part where he says that you need to have specific goals, like scales, yeah they're good to learn but what I was doing (some years back) was just pick a random scale on any given day and run through it for 20-30 min. After doing this for a few weeks or maybe months, I found i wasn't acheiving any real musical goals.

Tabs are good for learning songs, think about getting a teacher to help with technique and give feedback. Good Luck
:D

Pat

ReplyQuote