Clear all

Tough rhythms

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

One of the areas (besides improvisation) of my playing that I want to improve is my rhythm and timing, I know I have decent enough timing but I want to improve. One of the things i've noticed is that alot of really good players, such as SRV, EVH and Randy Rhodes, they are able to play notes not only with such speed and clarity but it seems to have a very odd timing when i look at the sheet music. My question is, when trying to learn these odd rhythms, should I learn it by ear or actually figure out what a succession of 64th notes at 160 BPM sounds like? (i'm exaggerating of course, but it's still fast)

Steve-0

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Well, the transcribers can approach this in a couple ways. One is to attempt to capture the feel of a swinging or unusual rhythm by breaking down the notes into small increments and using a lot of ties and accents and grace notes. I prefer the alternative, often used in jazzy pieces: get down a good approximation of the basic note/rhythm structure and add the notation "Play with a swing feel."

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

For the most part, I find I need to play along with the CD to try to approximate the rhythm.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

One of the areas (besides improvisation) of my playing that I want to improve is my rhythm and timing, I know I have decent enough timing but I want to improve. One of the things i've noticed is that alot of really good players, such as SRV, EVH and Randy Rhodes, they are able to play notes not only with such speed and clarity but it seems to have a very odd timing when i look at the sheet music. My question is, when trying to learn these odd rhythms, should I learn it by ear or actually figure out what a succession of 64th notes at 160 BPM sounds like? (i'm exaggerating of course, but it's still fast)The three that you mentioned all have excellent timing. Listen to the verse section of SRV's couldn't stand the weather, the opening riff of EVH's Ain't talkin' 'bout love, and Randy's playing in the verse section of Crazy Train.
I've heard dozens of guitarists play these riffs and vbery few of them have the nuances/syncopation of the timing right. hay can all play the right notes, but it just dosn't rock. That's what seperates the great players from theq average players. That well developed sense of timing.

Another example is Stranglehold, by Ted Nugent. The riff seems easy, but few can play t like Ted. They get the notes right but the timing is bland..
I'd say you should learn to pllay it accuratly an

ReplyQuote