Townes Van Zandt's 'If I Needed You'

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi, folks.

Hope you're all well. I'd like this song to be my next project, but try as I might, can't find a decent tutorial on it anywhere. Do any of you guys play it? I've looked through TAB, and not really been able to suss it.

Would appreciate any help that may be going,

Shady

Take care,

Casey

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

the chords are B E F#, but townes plays it in G with a capo on the 4th fret, and he of course does some of his trademark fingerpicking, outlining melody fragments on the treble and doing an alternate bassline with the thumb.
G
if i needed you would you come to me
G......................C........D.........G
would you come to me and ease my pain

same structure on subsequent verses. ignore the dots, i'm just using them to keep the spacing right.
here's a video where you get a really nice look at his hands.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2LXiYjk8V0&feature=related
you can see uses has a thumbpick(although you can play it without one. it's just going to get a better ring, especially in a live setting), and he plays some hammer-ons, mostly on the b string and e string, to play the melody.

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Jason.

I'll work on it. May be a maybe next lifetime song, but I'll give it a good go this time around. :wink:

Shady

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@srmaximo)
Eminent Member

I've got a chart for "If I Needed You" on my site. I believe it's based on the Lyle Lovett version of the song, though I tabbed out the intro that Townes plays at the end of the chart.

http://www.heartwoodguitar.com/chords/if-i-needed-you-townes-van-zandt-covered-by-lyle-lovett/

The key is using Travis picking, using your thumb for alternating bass notes. There's a little diagram on the chart that shows what the picking pattern is.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Teach Guitar
Free Guitar Tabs
Strum Patterns

ReplyQuote