Clear all

"Travel" acoustic guitar tuned up to A?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I saw a flyer for a Tacoma Papoosewhich mentioned that it's a small-body guitar tuned to "high A." I also recently looked at the Breedlove Passportfor which the web site says it is "like playing a guitar capoed at the 5th fret."

What's the purpose of tuning these guitars to A? Do many people play this type of guitar as their primary guitar, or are these more "special purpose"?

Also, I notice that the Tacoma uses standard 12-gauge strings - doesn't tuning up that high put tremendous tension on the neck, or does the short scale sufficiently offset the tension that comes from tuning up?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If it's a short enough scale, no problem.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Rico. :)

So are all these so-called "travel guitars" supposed to be tuned high?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Depends on scale length.

The shorter the string, the less tension it needs to reach a certain pitch. If you take a standard guitar and fret the fifth freth, you've shortened the scale length... so imagine that 5th fret is the new scale length, and tune it until you get standard tuning at the 5th fret. The string is going to get pretty 'floppy'.

If you look at guitars for kids, the "3/4" size guitars are usually in standard tuning. A 3/4 size is really only about 10% smaller, so they go to standard tuning. A "1/2 size" guitar is about 20% smaller than standard, and they're usually tuned up a minor third - to G on the 1st/6th strings.

The Tacoma has a 19.1" scale length, as does the Passport. They'll need to be tuned up, although you might not need to go as high as A. Other travel guitars, like the Martin Backpacker, are longer - that's got a 24" scale length; you can probably use standard tuning.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Gotcha - good info as always NoteBoat.

I just bought my daughter a 1/2-size guitar for Christmas, and tuned it up to G. Made a big improvement in playability - it was definitely "floppy" tuned to E.

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

Other travel guitars, like the Martin Backpacker, are longer - that's got a 24" scale length; you can probably use standard tuning.

Yeah, I have a backpacker, and it's really a unique feel when tuned to standard pitch. It isn't floppy at all, but the strings are much easier to bend than on a normal acoustic. If the scale were much less than 24". however, it'd definately need to go up in pitch, as it would start to be floppy.

ReplyQuote