Clear all

Travel guitars - I know, I know

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I seem to remember someone recommending an alternate tuning for the Martin. Can anyone give me some suggestions?

"Never holster an unloaded weapon, it's just poor form." - Col. Jeff Cooper

ReplyQuote
 Blue
(@blue_1567859486)

I've had a Backpacker for several years - actually, I collect smaller/travel guitars - and have never really enjoyed the sound of it in standard. I keep mine in DADGAD, except with the tiny body and light strings it can't really handle being tuned that low, so I have it a pitch up from DADGAD, which works out to EBEABE... works great for me and the tuning is great for just making stuff up while I'm out and about, very relaxing.

PS If you find the narrow body awkward even with the strap someone out there has made a frame you can fit that's guitar shaped, for stability. Can't remember the link offhand though, sorry.

<>==={=0=}
Life, love, music, laughter - guitars!
http://www.barddance.org

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

PS If you find the narrow body awkward even with the strap someone out there has made a frame you can fit that's guitar shaped, for stability. Can't remember the link offhand though, sorry.

That's cool and not too surprising -- for some time now, I've been thinking about making a removeable for mine.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I suggested using Nashville tuning a while back. It gives the backpacker a mandolin sound.

For all intents and purposes you are using just the octave strings from a 12 string set.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2