Clear all

Trouble in paradise

22 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@smiller4597)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I bought a left handed guitar and I think the fretting will come very quick with my right hand, I dont seem to be having much trouble. The strumming and picking seems to be a real big issue!!! I feel like a retard! I think with lots of work I should be able to make it work though. Thanks for all the support. Scott.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Hey, anything is possible with hard work. Billy Wagner (relief pitcher) broke his arm in high school or college and started to throw with the other arm (left) and found that he could throw 100MPH !! True story!

Wow... it kinda makes me sad that there is a guy who plays only with his toes who is better than me...

Ok - question.. . I keep reading you guys talking about Django Reinhardt - who the hell is this guy?? I've never heard of him.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@panhead74)

http://www.redhotjazz.com/django.html

When you have to shoot, shoot; don't talk

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I know a guy who's just got a nub below his left elbow. Born that way. He plays a lefty guitar. Strums by cutting a slice off an apple, taping it to his nub with electrical tape, and poking a light gauge pick into the apple. He plays right well that way. Not just strumming, either, he can do some pretty good flatpicking.

Saw a video online somewhere of an armless guy playing guitar with his toes.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Django is one of the greatest of the all-time great guitar players. He was an icon of the swing era and you can find his music being played by "hot club" jazz bands all over the world.

If you have any interest in swing jazz or accoustic music in general, run to your nearest record dealer and get yourself anything he ever did, you won't regret it!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Django Reinhardt is one of the greatest guitar players of all time. He burned his hand badly when he was 18 or 19 years old. His hand was deformed and he barely had use of his ring or pinky fingers. He had to learn guitar all over again. He mostly played using his index and middle fingers only, but could use the other fingers for a little fretting. He was known for his amazing speed on the fretboard.

Here is a photo of Django. If you look carefully you can see the scar tissue on his fretting hand.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@smiller4597)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the link panhead74. I had no idea who this person was either.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2