Clear all

Trouble with Bending on Electric's

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@guerillacharlie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to take a look at my problem. I have just finished learning the Stairway to Heaven Solo on my electric (I'm one of those sickening people who doesnt get sick of the song) and am not quite happy with it yet. I have played acoustic for a long time and only recently bought my electric (Gibson Les Paul Studio 2005). My bends are too noisey! I am always catching other strings/bumping them/ just generally making too much noise taking away from the actual note i need. I guess because of the sensitive pickups and the strings being thinner this is much different from bending on acoustic. So if anyone has tips or a certian way to stop this, if they could post anything that would be great.

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Guess that puts us in the same boat then...I never get tired of Stairway either....

I find I tend to push or pull other strings as well as the one I'm bending, palm muting also comes into it...I guess it's just yet another of those things that come naturally with practise....

Try practising your bends slowly, till you've got them nice and clean...then gradually speed up....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

I try to use the my "helper" fingers to mute the strings I don't want to make noise. For example, If was bending with my third finger, I would use the second to help and my index to mute strings.

Shibby

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

Depending on how much you need to bend a string (typically more than a half-step), there may be no avoiding hitting the other strings.

The key is to only pluck the string(s) that you want to bend. When you bend, if it's smooth, the fleshy part of your fingers on your fret hand will touch the other strings enough to mute them.

I've had instances in the past where I've had raw callusses peeling on my fretting hand. The skin sometimes catches on the other strings, too. Best thing to do in this case is to cut off the excess skin (shouldn't hurt as it's dead anyway).

If I'm having a bad day with trouble doing this, then I will sometimes use a slight right-hand palm mute on the strings that I do not wish to sound.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@guerillacharlie)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ya thanks guys, ill give those tips a try. using my other fingers + the palm mute with my left hand for me. Lefty :twisted: you know :wink:

thanks

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I try to use the my "helper" fingers to mute the strings I don't want to make noise. For example, If was bending with my third finger, I would use the second to help and my index to mute strings.

Shibby

I don't really have a muting problem, but sometimes when I'm doing a long bend (maybe 4 or so steps) I use my other fingers for support.... 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@badlands53)
Trusted Member

when I'm doing a long bend (maybe 4 or so steps)

A 4 step bend, now that's impressive. :wink:

Well, if you can't make it, stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can, and meet me in a dream of this hard land.

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

If you rest the side of the palm on your picking hand on the strings above the bent note you will mute all unwanted noise. Check out the Allman Brother's Band Live at the Beacon DVD to watch Derek Trucks do this.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote