Clear all

Trouble with soloing

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jailhouserock)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

How do I solo while staying in key? For example, say there is Am, G, F and E chord progression been played. I *use* A Harmonic Minor scale to solo over this chord progressions. Is it correct?
-But sometimes my solo tend to sounds like a SCALE instead of melody.
- How do I overcome this problem? :?

Hum..

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

For the first part, staying in key, you need to be aware of where the key changes. The chords you list, Am, G, F, and E (I assume that's E major) won't fit under a single scale - the E major chord has G# in it, and the G major chord has G natural. You can take a number of approaches to this... one is to solo in A natural minor (relative to C) over Am, G, and F, and to solo in A harmonic minor over Am, F, and E. Since either scale works over Am or F, you have plenty of freedom over when to change and how to structure your solo.

When you start soloing, the results often sound like scales - you need to develop a sense of phrasing, which involves knowing how the scale notes will sound. Try playing very short fragments - just two bars, or even just one - over one of the chords. When you've got a bunch of fragments that you like, try stringing a couple of them together.

Next, pay attention to the notes of the chord changes. If Am is moving to F, end your phrase on a chord note. Although A is in the chord, ending a phrase that you start in Am will sound 'finished' on the A note... but since A is the third in the F chord, the change will make your solo sound a little... unplanned, I guess. Try ending on F or C at that chord change.

When you're able to use phrases and anticipate the changes, then you can start working on structure - a good solo tells a story, with a beginning, middle, and end. You want to build and release tension a couple of times over the course of a solo, with the biggest release coming at the end - that'll make it sound like a complete whole.

It takes practice. It's also sort of an esoteric thing - you get good at it by doing it, by trying new things, by developing your ear. Have patience and keep working at it :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@jailhouserock)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the details explanation :D but i may need some time to fully understand some part of it.

From your explanation, i realized i lack of certain theory knowledge like chord construction and chord progressions. Does these two thing will also support my soloing? I mean, by fully understand it?

I don't understand this

You can take a number of approaches to this... one is to solo in A natural minor (relative to C) over Am, G, and F, and to solo in A harmonic minor over Am, F, and E

what is "A Natural Minor (relative to C) means? I'm sorry but I really don't get it.

Hum..

ReplyQuote
(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member

what is "A Natural Minor (relative to C) means? I'm sorry but I really don't get it.

You've got a little theory work/reading to do to get yourself up to speed. Do a search on theory or scales on this site and have a look at some of the lessons explaining various scales.

A Natural Minor (relative to C):

The C Major scale consists of the notes C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C. It's a major scale because it observes the step pattern whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole,half (WWHWWWH). The concept of whole and half steps will be explained in any of scale theory articles you read. If instead of starting the scale on C, you started the scale on A and played the same notes, A,B,C,D,E,F,G,A you'd be playing the relative minor of C major, which is A Minor. The Natural minor scale follows the step pattern, WHWWHWW. If you play either of those scales over the chords Am, G, and F you'd be playing "in key". The harmonic minor scale is yet another kind of scale. Suggest you read up on some of the scale articles on this site before you move on.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A natural minor scale = A B C D E F G
C Major scale = C D E F G A B

Since both contain the same notes, you can say A natural minor is relative to C major. What is said:

Use the A Natural Minor scale over the G chord, the A Harmonic minor scale over the E chord, and either one of these scales over the Am and F chords.

Why not use natural minor over the E chord? Because the E-chord has a G# note, whereas the natural minor does not. Instead, you can use the harmonic minor scale, where the G is replaced by a G#.

ReplyQuote
(@jailhouserock)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you guys. It clear my confusion. Now I got to search and study some theory stuff. :)

Hum..

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Important point to take out of these posts, is that you are not limited to only one scale during a song or a solo section or a chord progression. You can also do other things to add to your playing such as arpegios or even silence. Yes, don't forget to make your guitar talk. And in doing so, remember that it also needs to breath. Silence is important. Notes don't have to fly by at 10,000 mph continously.

Silence, it's what everyone asks for in my playng! :lol:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

or even silence

Absolutely. This week I was trying to show my instructor a simple solo I had worked out to play over an A-D-E progression using a minor pentatonic scale. I got lost at one point and took a second or two to get reoriented. He said the break was very cool and how impressed he was that I came up with it. I couldn't bring myself to tell him it wasn't planned.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@jailhouserock)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I think, *silence* for a second or two gives the muscles some time to relax before it goes on. :)
By the way, I noticed sometimes I sort of hold my breath for a few seconds when I play/practice some difficult part of certain solos/progressions. I wonder if it's a common thing for every guitarists..

Hum..

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

When I took lessons, I'd clear my throat before playing.haha.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote