Notifications
Clear all

Trying to figure out which electric guitar to get

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@oldschoolguy)
Topic starter  

Would a Gibson ES335 with humbuckers or a Gretsch 6120DE with Dynasonics be better for rhythm guitar playing at church or in a rock and roll band?
Which one would be better suited to early 60's rock-pre British invasion stuff-think Roy Orbison, The Ventures, Scotty Moore licks like on Elvis' "Little Sister" or modern retro rock like Chris Isaak. I don't like metal, punk, or shredding. I'm not a jazz player either. I like a clear clean tone. Probably best describe my taste as retro rock and roll and R & B, with a touch of country.

Any feedback appreciated. I already have a Fender Telecaster, Stratocaster, and a Martin acoustic and am looking to add something else. Thank you.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

either is an excellent guitar. I play the same stuff you like; I play a strat.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

MODERATOR NOTE:

Since this is essentially about the same thing, I've taken the liberty of merging these two topics. Hope that's okay.

Peace

PERSONAL REPLY:

As Dogbite says, either guitar is an exceptional choice. If you think about it, most of the guitar players from the fifties and sixties whose sound we really got into didn't spend all that much time picking out which guitar (or guitars) they wanted. They got what they could afford or, because of the fame they were in the process of getting, got "endorsement guitars" from various companies. They made the most out of whatever guitar they had at hand.

It's truly not a matter of "which guitar is better suited" because it's about what the guitarist is able to bring to the table with whatever guitar he or she happens to be playing. Yes, different guitars will bring a different sound, but so will different guitarists playing the same guitar (using the same equipment).

That's why most professionals don't usually go out of their way to recommend a brand or a model and instead offer the advice to go with the guitar that feels good enough to you so that you want to play it as best you can.

Bottom line is that you can't go wrong with either choice unless you automatically add buyer's remorse (or "what if") to your choice. Then you won't be listening to the guitar you have because you'll be hearing the other guitar in your head.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@oldschoolguy)
Topic starter  

yeah sorry about the two redundant posts. I am new here and didn't see the first one come through so I thought I didn't post it correctly and made a new post. I see now that it takes the administrator about a day to approve a post before it is published. Thank you for the two replies so far. I'd be interested in what others have to say as well.

ReplyQuote
(@oldschoolguy)
Topic starter  

LOL-so I ended up going with a dark horse-I found a vintage cherry red Guild Starfire III that was made in Westerly, R.I. and I couldn't be more thrilled. It's in great shape-I LOVE the sound and the guitar was a good value. Thanks again for the feedback on my post.

ReplyQuote