Notifications
Clear all

Trying to write Grunge music.

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@gavingrunge96)
Topic starter  

Hey everyone, this is my first post on Guitar Noise and I'm in the process of starting a grunge-based band with my friends. I'm wanting to write songs similar to ones by Bush, Nirvana and Alice and Chains, but am currently at a creative block and stuck on simple power chords. Does know much by these bands and have any advice on how to have the dark sound from albums like Razorblade Suitcase and In Utero? I predictably enough got digitech's grunge pedal but still have a long way to go.

(@gavingrunge96)
Topic starter  

didn't mean for this post to be made after making my intro

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN.

I have a feeling that you can collaborate with another member on the forum who is also into grunge music. Her name is 'Grungesunset'.

Happy Playing!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

didn't mean for this post to be made after making my intro
Could be something to do with the order in which those posts were approved.

A

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gavingrunge96)
Topic starter  

Welcome to GN.

I have a feeling that you can collaborate with another member on the forum who is also into grunge music. Her name is 'Grungesunset'.

Happy Playing!

Thanks! I'll look for her.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

some of the best songs written were just a few chords, a guitar and a pedal.
it is no secret that music is about emotion and content. for me, the guitar expresses
that. take the same three chords and play then differently. it amazes the how much expression can be had.
the sound or tone is important; it's crucial. understanding your tone is vital.
lastly, a dose of angst is in order.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Bush, Nirvana and Alice and Chains, Razorblade Suitcase and In Utero? I predictably enough got digitech's grunge pedal but still have a long way to go.

I'm gonna go all Zen on you. I spent a three day weekend in the company of a dozen mad geniuses and it inspired me.

Concentrate less on writing genre and more on writing music.

The groups you've quoted pulled from a wild variety of styles and influences to create their music. If all you do is try to copy the genre, then the music you write will fail to inspire you.

Learn to listen.

Listen to people talking. Ignore the words. Speech has melody and rhythm. Sometimes harsh, sometimes beautiful, but always there.

Listen to the sounds around you. Machinery. Wind. Fire. There's music there, but you have to choose to hear it.

Above all . . .

Listen to your heart and write the things it tells you to write.

The Greeks averred Euterpe, the muse of music was the gentlest of all the muses and called her "Giver of Delight." Those of us enslaved to her know that while she indeed delights us, she also demands our total devotion and attention. To deny her wastes our souls.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

learn major and minor chords, so you don't have to play only power chords.
learn the pentatonic scale. a lot of grunge comes over from blues rock.

ReplyQuote
(@grungesunset)
Honorable Member

This is a large generalization but your typical grunge song musically is your standard rock song with dirtier guitars, heavier drumming and dirtier rock stars.

I'm with Moonrider. I'm not a "Zen" kind of person but I think I know what he's trying to say. In an interview about Kurt Cobain and Smells Like Teen Spirit, Tori Amos said "it wasn't a defensive generation, it was a questioning generation" and "through all that male rage there was something sliced open." Maybe you disagree, if so, listen to your favourite grunge song and think about what it means to you then write your music with a similar frame of mind.

As far as getting the sound out of your guitar, I have the Digitech Grunge and find it way too heavy for grunge on the lowest settings. Works great for metal. I use a Marshall Jackhammer mainly. But wherever you get your distrotion from, I usually go with my EQ settings at: Bass 10 o clock, Mid 10 o clock, treble 2 o clock then have my guitar on the rhythm cicruit (or pick up) to get that muddy sound.

"In what, twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!" - Dr Gregory House

ReplyQuote
(@gavingrunge96)
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot everyone for your replies! I feel really bad for not getting on in while lol, but lately I've been more musically inspired than ever and am sure that this website well help a lot :)

ReplyQuote
(@neztok)
Estimable Member

FIrst you need to start with your image. A guy need not be in the public eye until he is at least 21. It just can't be pulled off. You end up looking like that Beiber (sp?) playing dress up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFlHsKExcYg Yep, this whole message was just so I could post THE PRETTY RECKLACE vid...The Revolver cover was cool.

ReplyQuote