Notifications
Clear all

Tuning

24 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member

I tune the low E to a chromatic tuner and then try to get the rest right by ear...then test it against the tuner again to see how close I got...

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

http://www.strobotron.com/

take a look at the video, really cool

What I would like to see is a strobe tuner made for pocket pc

ReplyQuote
(@evilspudboy)
Trusted Member

I got a strobotron pick about 3 weeks ago. Mainly out of curiosity. It's kind of cool, and I found you can tune pretty accurately with it. It takes a little getting used to. It's basically a little piece of circuit board shaped like a pick with a red and green LED on it. And they flash out of phase with each other at whatever frequency you are tuning. It's got a tiny crystal and what I think is maybe some kind of FPGA, and a little microswitch you press to change to the next pitch. It's kind of odd since everything is exposed. It makes it look like some kind of homebuilt deviced except for the fact that the components are surface mounted.

Anyway, It pretty much works just like the video on the site shows. The cool thing is that you don't have to be able to hear the guitar or the tone the pick makes to tune it, because when you press the button to cycle the pitches it flashes a little code on the low E, D, and B so that you can tell what string it is set at even if you can't hear it.

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it you play the guitar on the MTV

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I use a chromatic tuner but not just any chromatic tuner.
When tuning my acoustic in a noisy situation I had dificulty with tuners that relied on sound so I bought the Intellitouch tuner by Onboard Research Corp.
It clips onto your headstock and senses vibration. pluck any string and it will tell you what note was played and wether it is too sharp or flat.
Works great and is not effected by ambient noise in the room.
We tested it out just for kicks and my friend was able to tune his fiddle with it.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I use a Chromatic, It useful for Nashville tuning.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I prefer to stay out of tune. That way I can play Neil YOung songs better. :lol:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@weedyrs)
Eminent Member

I use a chromatic tuner, works great.

ReplyQuote
(@creem)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It clips onto your headstock and senses vibration. pluck any string and it will tell you what note was played and wether it is too sharp or flat.
Works great and is not effected by ambient noise in the room.

That sounds like a WAY cool tuner. Expensive?

ReplyQuote
(@weedyrs)
Eminent Member

ya! where can I get 1

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2