Tuning a 12-string

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@amistad)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi folks,

Just bought a 12-string on eBay and received it today. It has a great look and feel, and the action is very playable. In a word, I like it!

I've read somewhere that due to twice the number of strings adding extra stress on the instrument, that it's best to tune it to D instead of E. I would appreciate any comments about that. If I do so, would I then capo at the 2nd fret to play it "normally?" Thanks for any help you might like to offer...

Amistad

(@davidhodge)

Congrats on getting your twelve!

This is a question that comes up a lot here. I've played twelve strings for awhile and (unless doing an alternate tuning) always tune to the standard EADGBE. It depends on both you and your instrument, I think.

And if you're new to the twelve, you might want a quick read of Guitar Noise's article on the subject:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=75

Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I use the standard EADGBE on my 12-string, too.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@doug_c)
Reputable Member

Until recently (a year or so, now), I kept my Yamaha acoustic tuned a half-step below concert pitch. I bought it used around 1975, so it has spent most of its life wearing a capo when I wanted to play it. I finally decided I was just "shorting" myself by one fret, and left it in standard tuning.
Any neck work on it might cost more than it's worth, so I want to be kind to it. My electrics get most of the use these days, so maybe I'll back off those strings once again, and let it enjoy "semi-retirement" in its case. I may also switch to extra light strings; 249.6 lbs. tension from a set of Martin MSP4600 vs. 312 lbs. with the Martin M1700's that I have now. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

congrats on the new 12 Amistad.

Occasionally I'll borrow my dads acoustic 12, we keep it tuned down a whole step and capoed. The reason being it is about 30 years old, and it's action is rather high, It just gets to aggravating to play when the strings are tuned to standard, theres to much tension. but tuned down it's not that bad, and it sounds awsome for stuff like turn turn turn. :P

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I asked Alvarez about this as I have a jumbo 12er on order, and they said standard tuning is fine (for their guitars, at least) but they recommended tuning down if you're going to not be playing for more than a few days. Though I plan to play mine regularly, I think I will tune down a 1/2-step just to err on the side of caution, and also to make fretting slightly easier (though I was very impressed by the playability and low action on the one I played.)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@amistad)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I appreciate the responses from each of you.

I tuned it down a half step and played a bit, using a capo. However, I discovered that since I tend to utilize the dots on the edge of the fretboard in my playing, I didn't like using the capo, as it "threw off" their positioning. Thus, I went ahead and tuned it up to standard tuning of EADGBE.

Amistad
'ya gotta love a 12-string! :wink: '

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

For what it's worth...I have a jammin buddy with a Takamine 12 string. He recently had to have the truss rod adjusted. The guitar guy at the music store told him to use extra light strings from now on and no further problems should develop. He keeps his tuned to standard tuning.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I keep mine in D standard (one whole step down) just because, like others have mentioned, it was recommended in the old days to have less tension on the neck. But I got used to having the capo on the 2nd fret; moves everything up more or less 'evenly' and I wind up with what amounts to a '12th fret join' - or whatever you call it - like on a typical classical guitar; 12 fret right where the neck meets the body. So I'd pick up the 12 and think of it as a metal string classical guitar - just as far as where the frets are.

Hey isn't that Stella reissue one with the 12th fret at the body?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Any modern 12 string should be able to handle standard tuning. With the capo your going to get major fret wear if you use it all the time.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i bought a 12 acoustic recently and have kept it standard tuned and without as capo unless needed for a song. so far no problems, i'll be keeping a close eye on it tho

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@stringbean)

Hi All,
I have been through this tuning issue on the 12-string for over 30 years. I started with Pete Seeger and Leadbelly and it became a way of life to battle with not being at concert pitch when playing with others, heavy La Bella strings while trying to prove to yourself that tuning down was relieving tension! I even had a 12-string built for me by Pete Seeger's 12-string maker Bruce Taylor. I battled bravely with the strings 013/4 to 070!! In between all this I played most of my professional gigs in bands and solo with concert tuned 12-string. I discovered that what I was suffreing from was not a practical issue of not strainig my guitars, but a Psychological issue of not upseting my heroes, Kottke Seeger Leadbelly etc. I am now cured (I hope!) as I am tuning all my 12-strings to concert pitch using 009s or 10's. Most 12-strings will tune to concert using xlights. Even My Bruce Taylor guitar agrees as does my Gibson B45-12. Pete Seeger ruined all his guitars with the string tension by his own admission. Leadbelly had no real choice for light strings.... We do!

ReplyQuote