Clear all

tuning stability

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@imalone)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thought Id share this, maybe everyone knows, but since people usually only write about things going wrong it doesn't get mentioned.

My acoustic has been stranded at my parents' house since Christmas (the flight case got destroyed on the way over to visit, so I left it there and have since managed to get a new one off the airline). Visiting again three months on I took it out, popped on a tuner and found that everything was still spot on. This isn't a Martin with custom tuners or anything, it's the cheapest acoustic Ibanez make (my first guitar), Maybe this isn't new to anyone else, but since one of the most common complaints I see when looking at guitar reviews is going out of tune maybe it's useful to have a reference point. Of course it hasn't been played in that time either.

(@pilot)
Estimable Member

If a guitar has decent strings on it and is stored in an area with fairly stable temperature/humidity, it'll stay in tune for a surprisingly long time. In the winter here I have to re-tune a lot because the bedrooms heat up and cool down as the heating system cycles, but in the summer when temps are more even it can be weeks at a time before any real adjustment is needed.

My Ibanez acoustic/electric has a very strange habit of de-tuning itself by a nearly perfect half step between morning and afternoon this time of year. Folk songs for breakfast and grunge rock for dinner! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My Ibanez acoustic/electric has a very strange habit of de-tuning itself by a nearly perfect half step between morning and afternoon this time of year. Folk songs for breakfast and grunge rock for dinner!

That's hillarious. Yeah, the east coast humidity factor can do crazy things. All but one of my guitars is out in the open air. I'm overly protective over my low grade breedlove Accoustic. Once I go through the little ritual I have after changing strings, my guitars stay within a few marks on my tuner even after a few weeks of weather changes if unused. Less if used. Never more, though.

It is up and down though. Like you said, a different tuning. I left my office window open last night and the cool humidity sharpened everthing a mark or two. It was in tune earlier yesterday, the last time I played it. Everything was two marks sharp an hour ago. After today, it's supposed to be relatively stable for us for 4 or 5 days. it might get only a single mark on my tuner off over the whole time. Same with any guitar I have.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote