Clear all

Tusq vs Bone

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering what the tone and sound difference will be between the two? I can't get bone from where i live and i don't wanna order offline so i can only tusq, but i was wondering the pros and cons of both. Thanx

Mikey

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I can only speak for tusq, that's what's on my Tacoma, it sounds great, bright treble and booming bass. How much of that is due to the tusq nut and bridge, probably little. I have a friend who has a bone nut and bridge on his 30 year old Conrad. It has very bright treble and very little bass response. How much of that is due to the bone I don't know probably little. Some people say bone is the only way to go, other say tusq. I once took a Fender acoustic to a luthier to have a bone nut and bridge put on it (at the advise of my Conrad playing friend). He told me if I didn't need a new nut and bridge not to bother, it wasn't worth the cost. well that's a lot of words and probably no help at all, sorry.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hey, thanx i like hearing about other peoples guitars and expieriences

Mikey

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Don't cha know: You can only get a good acoustic tone if you use mammoth ivory on both! :o

I've heard guitars that were redone, and honestly, I think I notice a lot more tonal difference just from just getting a new set of strings on.

If I had lots and lots of money, I'd probably do it just for that tiny difference, but for right now, I'm fine with whatever comes on my guitars. I recommend it. If you think your tone needs a little tweaking, the first thing I'd recommend is testing out LOTS of string gauges and brands. Try everything twice and give yourself time to get a feel for it.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok, thanx, im currently using elixir lights, but im scared if i use mediums it'll bend the neck. Thanx
Mikey

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I have a reclaimed ivory nut on my MIM fender . . but only because i had the frets on it properly dressed (nothing out of fender is properly dressed unless you're getting it form the custom shop). Since it was going to luthier anyway, and since he happened to have a reclaimed ivory blank at the right price, I had it done.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@paulsc)
Eminent Member

I have a MIM strat too, but what exactly is the proper dressing for the frets? What would be the difference in my frets now versus if I had them properly dressed? I've heard this mentioned a few times and was just curious. Thanks

paul

"How can you have an ego about running your hand across a piece of wood?"
- Col. Bruce Hampton

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Properly dressing the frets means that they are all sanded to the same height and the correct shape has been put on the crown.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

From the factory, the frets will be sanded, but they won't be properly crowned. Crowning is a hand-job that takes a bit of skill, and doing it for production guitars drives the cost WAY up. However, it makes a big difference in tone and playability, particularly for things like bending.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

does any one know the answer to the first question i origanllly asked>?

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

there aren't really pros or cons to either. They have slightly different properties. Depending on what guitar you are starting with, one will probably be better than the other, but then again it's all in the ear of the beholder.

Tusq is more consistent density wise.

Tusq is a better choice if you are having an undersaddle pickup installed.

Bone is harder to shape, but some say bone is less bright and gives bigger volume.

Both give excellent sound and they only differ slightly.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey007)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok thanx for all the input guys...i appreciate it

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

ok, thanx, im currently using elixir lights, but im scared if i use mediums it'll bend the neck. Thanx
Mikey

I wouldn't worry about that at all. Guitars are designed to take heavy gauges. I personally use .13 gauge strings on mine, and I have no problems with the neck.

String gauge makes a huge difference in sound, tone and volume, especially when it comes to aucostics.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

My Martin has Micarta saddle and nut (and fretboard) and i like it alot. It's holding up very well. I think the only difference you'll hear is when you switch from like, plastic to anything else. I think my Fender has plastic and I'm gonna get that changed when I have the financial means.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote