Clear all

TV show "How It's Made - Accoustic Gutar"

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Several weeks ago there was a thread talking about an episode of the Discovery Channel's program "How It's Made" which featured the making of an accoustic guitar.

That episode was on today, and I recorded it. As soon as I edit it down to only that segment, I'll upload it to my webspace (if it's small enough to fit), or try to put it on E-mule if anyone wants to see it.

The segment follows the construction of a Godin Seagull guitar. A three week process, shown in a little under 4 minutes.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ok, here is a postage-stamp sized version of the clip.
It's about 2 MEG.

I'm still trying to get a better balance between file size (my web space is limited) and viewability.

If you want to see it un-compressed (280 meg!), and if you have peer-2-peer software that can deal with this :

ed2k://|file|how_its_made-accoustic_guitar.mpg|294662224|7E2F95EF8623597F6A55F01EC72BF137|h=KTCFFVFZTLHOMR7P47KZA3MVBMYKHPPY|/

then go ahead.
I'll try to leave my computer available for as long as I can, but no guarantees...

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

There is a similar show on the DIY Network, he goes through building a Dreadnought and a Mandolin. Very intersting.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

There is a similar show on the DIY Network, he goes through building a Dreadnought and a Mandolin. Very intersting.

However, on the DIY version they have much more detail. The featured luthier doesn't have the assembly line they had in the clip above. Then they demo the finished guitar and mandolin with members of the group Kentucky Thunder.

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

We were trying to find this on the guitarflock forums. The same series (How it's made) actually has a segment about violins also in another episode. My non-network black box DVR might have already recorded it but there's no way to get it out of the box except for VHS (argh).

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

There are also shows in the series that have segments on building a harp, and making guitar strings, that I know about.

Hopefully, I can grab them when they come on next.

Then all I gotta do is figure out how to compress them enough to share, without creating unwatchably tiny pictures :D

ReplyQuote