Clear all

U2 Help required - getting the "Edge" sound

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

ok guys, I know a few of you (U2 Bono about??) are big U2 fans.

I have a Yamaha Pacifica electric and a decent amp. How would i go about getting a reasonable Edge impression, as far as settings or effects go? If I need an effects pedal, what would I be best going for? delay?

I am very novicey at this so please explain in as much detail as possible

thanks all,

Matt

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I believe he often splits the guitar signal and sends it to two separate amps, each with separate delay (sometimes applied to both, sometimes only one, sometimes neither :) ). Korg SDD-3000s with the +10db boost active into twin Vox AC30s with treble boost ("brilliant" channel).
"GW: Onstage you use a short delay and a long delay together. What's the story behind that combination?

The Edge: They work together to become a part of one delay sound. When I use two delays, I like to mess with the pitch modulation of the delay signal. It increases the depth of the sound and gives it a tremendous 3-D sensation. But straight slapback echo with no modulation isn't very inspiring; the shape of the sound doesn't change"

- 'Guitar World', September, 2005

This site has detailed delay settings for many of his tunes:
http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/

I've also read in several places (including that site) that:
- he uses a textured pick (the kind designed to help you grip it), but uses it upside down so the textured part strikes the strings
- he uses a MXR Dyna-Comp compressor
- he uses a chorus effect (not sure the type)

Basically, you can get close with a modeling amp and something like the Boss DD6 stereo delay pedal, and probably an equalizer, and lots of experimentation.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I just knew this would be more technical than my pea sized brain would allow me to understand!

great answer, thanks a lot. So with a single amp, and a delay pedal and a lot of playing around, I might get reasonably close. That will do me!

all the best and thanks again

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

The Edge uses a lot of effects, and a lot of different guitars too. His sound is due to the chord voicings, to a bit of a crunch effect and mostly to the use of the delay.
You need a delay pedal to reproduce his sound. I have a boss DD-3 and I am very satisfied with it.
You have to set the delay time according to the bpm of the song, he sets the delay at 3/16th of the bpm of the song.
So, if you have a song at 120bpm, the 16th is:
60000 / 120 / 4 = 125ms
and the delay has to be set at 375ms.
And finally one more tip, The Edge uses a particular pick, that gives a brushed sound. I don't know the model, and I also think that is difficult to find. Anyway a friend of mine showed me that using a black Jim Dunlop, but on the side of it where the rough part for the grip is, the result is similar.
Hope this helps

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

too late! :-)
great post slejhamer

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i think nowadays he uses a few Vox AC30s and 2 Fender Hot Rod Deluxes onstage. he's got more effects pedal than guitar center. i have also tried to get an Edge sound, and i think for me the most generic way to go about it was to use varying levels of delay (that's his signature thing) and just a little bit of bite to it. i use the AC30 model on my Vox ad30 with the built in delay effect, as i have no delay pedal.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This is all pretty fasciniating. Here i was thinking hey just plug a pedal in and you're away, plain sailing. Since i have been reading up on this the technology is all a bit mind blowing.

Very interesting stuff, thanks to all contributors

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

That quote from Dylan is great:
"Everybody's going to remember your songs, it's just that nobody's gonna be able to play them" - Bob Dylan (in reference to Edge's delay-ridden riffs)

If I remember correctly, the delay on the Vox AD30 that U2Bono269 mentions can be adjusted with the tap button, so that should get you pretty close to the right tempo (the famous 3/16th setting that lucam referenced.)

I would also recommend the Line 6 Echo Park delay modeler - that article says that Edge uses one. I have another of the Line 6 modeling pedals (the Constrictor compressor/sustainer) and it is very functional; I'd think the delay pedal should be good too. You can find them on ebay for around $100.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

you can EASILY get an early U2 sound, circa 1980. all the Edge had then was an Amp, a Gibson Explorer and a Memory Man. i can kinda close to a good I Will Follow tone with just my Ibanez and the Vox amp.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote