Clear all

Unexpected New Guitar - Too Good To Pass Up

17 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I got some note in the mail about a special 2 hour only manager's sale at GC. Just so happens we were over on that side of the city, so we popped in. I asked the dude at the door for the manager's specials like I was supposed to, and he gave me a list. He pointed out the best deal. A 50% off the lowest tagged price on Parkwood Guitars. Hmmmmm. I remember a thread or two here, but thought it was just marketing people trying to drive up the hype.

I walked back to the acoustic room, came back out and told them to shut the gosh darned house music off on there, went back in and found just one lone Parkwood with electrics. It had three scratches in it. Two on the back and one in the front. It was marked as a clearance item for $500. My little coupon thingy they gave me at the door had no provision, so they had to relent and let me have it for $250. It also came with a nice bag.

The guitar itself is solid wood. Solid Spruce top and solid mahagony sides and back. Mahogany neck with rosewood fret board and a bi-flex truss rod. The electronics are Fishman. The Prefix Premium S-O-B model. I found it online for $400. :shock: That got me curious, just what did I snag here for $250. Solid wood, premium electronics.....Dang! Looks like I got lucky again. I went in with plans to just buy a capo, but keep my eyes open un case something was too good to resist. I saw on Harmony Central two guys who paid $600 and $749 just last year.

Here's a pic from their site:

I'll post a proper pic sometime soon. Mine is a few shades darker. Really nice looking unit.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

Nice Guitar! Congrats :D

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

That's a beauty, and we can rely on your impeccable judgement fully & completely. Nice score, amazing features, congrats! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

That's a beauty, and we can rely on your impeccable judgement fully & completely. Nice score, amazing features, congrats! :D
ROFLMAO! Yeah. my judgement is impeccable. Good one! :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

ROFLMAO! Yeah. my judgement is impeccable. Good one! :lol: :lol:

Well, you got a good ear, and it led to a good deal, good guitar, and that's what counts. Enjoy. :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice guitar Roy. Enjoy! :D

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Yeah roy, looks like you got yourself a bargain. Enjoy it. Let us know how it plays, and get some pics of your one on here ASAP!

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

WTG, Roy.

Looks like a very good deal!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone.

It was my quit smoking prize. Last Sunday was 5 months. This cost me about the price of 5 weeks of smoking. 8)

This is the first acoustic that I've had with electrics. I had to calibrate a little screw inside the pre-amp with no guidance what-so-ever, but it got rid of an electrical noise. It was the microphone sensitivity and balance "slider". Nothing more than a weird looking plastic screw.

Anyhow, once that was taken care of and my electrical buzz was gone, I really got this thing sounding groovy. It's got both a Piezo and a microphone, and you can blend the two of them together. Sounds fantastic through anything I have, but really does the job with my little PA/drum amp. I can't believe this deal. I finally own a solid wood acoustic. SWEET! Nice sound. I am very pleased.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

And where are those pictures big man?

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Why Roy you gassing son of a gun! Nice purchase. 8) Reminds me I need new strings for my acoustic so I can play it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Pics and maybe a sound clip this afternoon. I'll have her in here trying to get a good Acoustic tone out of my M-FX unit.

And I did remember a pack of strings and a strap while standing at the counter. I also remembered the to purchase what I was going to anyhow. An adjustable (pressure) trigger-capo. Nifty thing. I'll end up with one for each playing station. Great capo.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Sounds like right place, right time! looks like you got a great deal.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Slight delay with sound clip and pictures. She's getting connection issues. See my question in guitar repairs. https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47725

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@roundi)
Estimable Member

Oh Man, I am a jealous. You get all the good guitars. :mrgreen:

Congrats & enjoy!!
I have often been curious about getting an acoustic with electronics but I generally only play at home. Is there a good use for the electrics when sitting in my living room? To date I played to a 30 or so crowd just once and was wishing I had a pickup in my guitar. Maybe it will happen again, who knows.

Enjoy the guitar, Does it have a built in tuner. That feature sounds handy.

Rob

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2