Clear all

Unsatisfied with my Epi SG purchase

43 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just emailed him and made another offer also showing this link. He may be cool about it and do what he said in his writing on Ebay... :?:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

File a complaint to ebay. Take some pics of the guitar. He'll lose, you'll get your money back, and shipping.

Good luck man.

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Just emailed him and made another offer also showing this link. He may be cool about it and do what he said in his writing on Ebay... :?:
Smart move! If I'm a retailer, I don't want a thread with 270 views, detailing what sound like legitimate complaints about my product support floating around.
Best of luck!
:)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Here was the initial email I sent the owner the day after receipt of the SG:

"Kimble, I received the guitar yesterday via Fed Ex about 4:30pm. I was really excited about what I saw on the ad and bought it. However, I opened the package carefully and inspected if for about 1/2 an hour.

I own just one guitar I bought 4.5 years ago: A Gibson SG special. They are about $950 now and I could not justify paying that for my second guitar that I'd detune to Eb to play detuned songs with the band.

So I was looking at the guitar and it is BEAUTIFUL! That flamed maple is so nice. Never seen anything like it anywhere. But I did notice several things that my Gibson doesn't have. The fret wires (on the ends) are cut rather crudely (not sanded or polished). The outer edge of the fretboard on the upper side (where you see it when you are looking down) has odd finish from the 3rd to 10th fret or so.

I know it's a second as it's stamped on the back of the neck so I understand. I saw a few more imperfections compared to my Gibson but I was figuring I could endure it. But the closer was that it has short frets compared to Gibsons. On traditional Gibby's they are tall frets.

Anyway, I was so excited but sad that I can't compromise to the lower quality and style of the Epi guitars. I've lost my job over a month ago and figured I could just buy an Epi to fill the gap for the couple of detuned songs. As a matter of fact, I never even tuned this one up yet so have not even heard it.

I think I need to get an actual Gibson SG. Likely a faded because they cost $579. I can't spend a grand on a guitar without a job.

Nevertheless, I know you are a GREAT vendor in your impeccable feedback rating besides the quick responses you had to the ad on the questions I asked you. I boxed the guitar up yesterday after I had gotten it. Would you be willing for me to FedEx or UPS this back to you at my expense and let me eat the $19 shipping I paid in the inital purchase for a quick return? That way you'd only refund the $299 via PayPal.

I will leave you stellar feedback as such. Please give me a call tomorrow at my home (and I'll be here as I said I lost my job) at 630-790-XXXX (just edited #, don't need calls from this post on GN). I called your store in Indy last week and talked with one of your managers. I assume you are the actual owner. So let me know, okay.

Dennis :-)"

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This email I sent to the owner 5 days after receipt of SG:

"I emailed this Saturday but have not heard back from you yet. Maybe you're on vacation in that it is the Summer. Hopefully you can get back to me.

Note: forwarded message attached."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

This was the email I sent to him tonight:

"You know the Epi SG you sold me 7/2/07 Ebay item number 330139800750. I emailed you a few times with no response and even called your store and you said you didn't think I should get a refund. I did, and still do if only based on just one of the defects on the frets.

Here's the kicker! I emailed 3 questions to you and were then attached ot the Ebay sale as questions/answers. Four days before I even bid on it I asked this question:

"Is that a picture of the actual guitar you are selling or a stock picture you use each time you list one of these SGs? Jun-27-07 "

Your response "A: they look identical..same pics though.If you are not happy or feel it was a mislead auction you can have a full refund including freight..I am the owner of guitar city and stand behind our sales..Thanks !! "

When I talked with you I offered to pay the shipping back to you and you still keep the money I was charged to ship it to me and give you $30 profit. You said the margin on that one was really low.

Okay, I'll up my offer. All that plus $50 profit plus that saves you the 2x $19 ship = $38 for a total of $88 worth to you. I'll also delete this post on this forum so it will never be know. (So of the $319 I paid, you'd refund $269 via PP).

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=324044#324044

My home number is 630-790-XXXX (changed because I don't want phone callls). Please call me or email in the next few days so we can resolve this. I have not given you Ebay feedback."

His response?

"we had an agreement ....You've had the guitar way too long now ??"

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

My reply to that:

"Yes, but I still did contact you right away and with valid reasons. Nevertheless, what would it take for you to do a refund and whatever profit level you need to make it right for you. Just let me know.

I have a band mate who buys a bass about every month locally and returns them. I think that's shit because he should only buy if he thinks may work. I VERY seldom buy any item from anywhere and return it. Not my style.

So I'm not like him or the other habitual returners. Not my style. Still, I do feel I did not get what I should have as was evidenced in my emails. And I'm not crazy in knowing you need to make a profit. Yes, it's been awhile now. You said no day 1. I'm willing to compensate you. Make me an offer?

I'd be happy to talk on the phone (630-790-XXXX changed because I don't want phone calls) or email. Either way is cool. Beyond that, I saw you had a really good feedback rating and that was another reason I had confidence in buying from you. If you look at my rating, I'm at 100%. Why? I do whatever needs to be done to make things work.

I've sold on Ebay LOTS more than bought as you could see (bigrockguitar is my name on Ebay). I've had a few situations where things didn't work out and I'd comp a customer. One time I even sent out an extra item just to make it right.

By the way, thanks for gettting back with me right away!"

So that's where we are. It's a play by play. I REALLY do feel that I deserve a refund for the product I got. Otherwise I would not bother posting this. And I think the posters who know me know I'm pretty mellow. But this has been under my skin since hour #1 with what I got. Buyer beware, sure. But when you're given a confidence level and get not at all what was expected and offer to go above and beyond the return policy, ahhhh.

And now at 303 views from members in just a couple of days, thank you all for looking. Y'all know me.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Would it it be poor form to post his e-mail addresse.

Maybe a few e-mails with a link to this post, would at least show him that poor customer service is not appreciated nor unnoticed. If he is a large Gibson dealer maybe a note sent there way would help.

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I've ordered one guitar online, the first I recieved had a ding it, but a replacement was sent and at my house within three days at the sellers expense this was Sweetwater.com I would recommnd them good service!

David

Per advice, here is the president's email address. It's public knowledge through Ebay. [email protected] . If anyone would like to email with any comments, suggestions, or whatnot it seems to be the right thing to do. If you'd like my email I could post it here, too.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Your response "If you are not happy ... you can have a full refund including freight...

When you buy used or a B-stock you take some chances regardless of the seller's opinion about the quality, but that quote pretty much sums up his return policy. Guy needs to make it right, and you shouldn't need to pay a dime.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Hi Dennis,

I was reading the thread but I didn't know how to contribute. Today, while I was reading the defects list, I thought it could not be a real Epiphone and for this reason Mr Gagos don't want to accept the change. Probably it is a stupid idea. As you know I own an Epiphone too (a LP) and it came with minor defects according to me... Now, reading your post my Epi is perfect!

I don't remember if anybody mention it, but it could be a good idea try to speak to Epiphone... Each guitar has a serial number, it could be interesting for Epiphone to know where and when that guitar was manufactured.

Are there consumer organizations there?

Nuno

PS. I wonder if anybody will buy to Mr Gagos in the future.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I'll tell you what... this guy seems like a scammer to me. I couldn't find "guitar city" on the web, and the listing literally smells of a guy who throws out seconds, used, and defective merchandise. I have a feeling that your only recourse at this time is through Ebay and the Paypal protection system. I don't think you will ever see a dime from this sleazebag.

Contact eBay and PayPal and find out what your next steps are.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Both ebay and paypal have ways to address this kind of thing. If you paid by credit card via paypal or credit card by calling his store you have even more options. You aren't stuck. File a complaint with ebay and paypal.

I had a guy once charge me $75 for shipping saying I would get the guitar next day. He sent it regular mail. When I got the thing 4 days later I said that was fine, just refund me the $50 difference. He said you got it right? and No. I filed a complaint with both ebay and paypal. One week later I had the money back in my account. It can be done.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Um, something is a bit weird. Supposedly a big business, and they're running it out of a Hotmail account? Seems either really fishy, small or about 10 years behind most other businesses.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i found a few listings. it seems that this is an established business. i would threaten to report it to ebay/paypal and the BBB.
make copies of all correspondences and stop trying to be a "nice guy"
unfortunately people like this don't respond to anything unless it threatens their business.

if this fails i'm sure an email message from a few friends here would get his attention.

http://listings.allpages.com/in-0102403789-columbus.html

http://www.fender.com/passport/dealer_finder.php?country=usa&stateprov=IN

http://www.swrsound.com/dealerfinder/?country=usa&stateprov=IN

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/content/dealers_results.php?stprov=IN

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Contact paypal and ebay for sure. My son sold a car audio amp on ebay to a lady and did everything he was supposed to do. She got the amp and said it wasn't the one advertised. Now mind you, he only had one to sell. And I double-checked everything he was doing before he even posted it. Anyway, he told the lady that it was the amp he advertised, but she still demanded a refund or another amp. He told her to ship the amp back and he would refund her money, she refused. She disputed it with ebay and paypal, they sided with her and he is now out over $400 and his amp. He was hoping to start a small ebay business, but this cured that.

Keep us posted on how you do.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3