Clear all

Upgrading Squier Affinity Strat

24 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I know that the affinity is supposed to be thinner than the standard squier. Does this make upgrading the equipment on it more difficult? Or is the difference in thickness not really noticeable?

I'm asking because I might have a line on a $100 Squier Affinity Fat Strat, and I'm just wondering if there is a drawback :)

Thanks!

(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

why would u ever upgrade a 100 dollar guitar??

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've heard that some people like the feel of an affinity (thinner, lighter), but want fancier pickups in it.

Besides, it's actually a $150 guitar. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's not just the pickups. The general hardware is cheap - tuners, bridge, nut, etc.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i think upgrading squires is a great idea, but i would start with at least a standard.
how much do you plan to spend altogether?

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I would not hesitate to slap a set up pickups on there. Worse thing that could happen is you end up not liking it, switch the pick-ups back and you got a set o pickups for another project.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking to spend about $200 on an electric. I went to the store yesterday and played around on various fat strats (affinities, squier standards, and mim fenders), and to be honest, I could only tell a little bit of difference. The fretboard was nicer on the MIM, and the affinity sounded a bit weaker. Some of the Standards had worse fitting of the neck to the body, but they sounded fine when compared with the MIM. I've been playing about 6 months. For the last few months I've had a MIM (Non-fat) Strat that was lent to me by a friend, but he needs it back now.

I was asking about the upgrade possibilities with an eye towards the future, but it's not critical to me.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

For what you have to spend I would suggest the Squier Standard. They are well made, solid working-mans guitars. Have them set it up for you in the store as factory set up is still somewhat hit and miss. You won't be dissapointed

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

I have an affinity fat strat, I love it. I've played standard fenders, other squier models, and a bunch of guitars, etc. etc. I'm happy with my purchase that I made. At the time I didn't know affinity models were lighter, but to be honest I really can't tell the difference. I noticed that fender models sound a bit brighter to my ears and the tones can reach different ranges, but to me they sound pretty much equal. The price difference is a plus in my book.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice. I'm currently checking out craigslist to see if any used MIM strats show up, if after a little while none do, I'll see what's available at the store.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

graigslist is a great resource, not only for instruments but to find others in your area to play with and for just about anything else you might want or need

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@mike-mcdevitt)
Eminent Member

I have a Squier Affinity Fat Strat. I love it. I played it in the store, and really liked it, so I bought it - I got mine for $119! :P

The pickups are pretty weak, so I replaced the bridge with a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom for about $80 (I put it in myself). The guitar sounds as good as a lot of $500+ out there with the new pickup. My total cost - $200!

ReplyQuote
(@savage)

I would also agree that upgrading an affinity wouldnt be a bad idea. Thats the guitar I learned on and I still like playin it. I've also been thinkin about changin the pickups and maybe the tuners aswell. I've never played any other squire affinity strat other than mine, but if yours sounds at all the same then I dont see how you can go wrong for the price.

Andy P.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I think I'm with the rest. The standard is the best way to go. Its not much more more $ and its better quality. I have an squire standard black and chrome tele and its a great axe. :D :D :D --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

You might want to search on Ebay.
If you choose advanced search, you can search within your zip code.
I like to keep an eye on guitars, especially older acoustics, and tube amps.
I now have a beautiful Fender acoustic. The seller brought it to my house!

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2