90 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
18.9 K Views
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

They are tough to get...but 10 pack boxes are easy to get. I buy huge amounts once a year for my bizz...but you should be able to get them for less then $10 a set, a lot more (obviously) for the 12-string sets. Actually, I rob strings from time to time from the 12-string sets depending on how I need to EQ the tones.

Ernie Ball 'extra slinky'...set #2225...8/11/14/22/30/38
Ernie Ball '12-string slinky'...set #2230...8-8/10-10/8-14/22/17-32/22-40

They have 100-packs for plain 8's...

Use a VERY hot pickup, highest gains all around, use the lightest pick possible with the lightest touch possible with the closest (almost buzzing) action possible. Leave all that gain "lurking"...add a decade...stir...and serve...

Along the way you will hear every crappy-sounding note imagineable. But when you get there you'll know it...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ernie Ball '12-string slinky'...set #2230...8-8/10-10/8-14/22/17-32/22-40

Oops!!!

8-8/10-10/8-14/11-24/17-32/22-40

Sorry... :oops:

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi :)

Hmmmm.... When I started playing I used EB 8's. Couldn't stand 'em then, still wont use EB strings to this day.
Have tried lots of different combos over the years.
Back when I played a lot, I preferred 10's.
These days, I'll stick with 9's.

My favorite strings are GHS Pure Nickel Rockers. Love the smooth feeling of the half-round strings.

Played with my fingers for the longest time. Lately I've been trying to record some stuff and came to the conclusion
that I didn't like the tone of my fingers. So, the last several months have seen me make the switch to a plec.
Originally, I grabbed what was at hand and fell in love with the tone of a U.S. dime (Has to be a dime. Other coins sound different).
Bought a variety of different types at the local music store and settled on a .009 Copper pick.
Runner up for smooth, silky feeling is 1.14mm Dunlop Tortex.
And for certain applications, a 3.0 mm stubby Jazz pick.
Yeah, for me the thicker the pick the better. I have a very light touch, so no, I never bust strings.

I like my action a bit on the higher side. In fact, thinking of raising the strings on my white Strat.
I've been playing that one with 9's, detuned a 1/2 step to do some Hendrix type stuff. Need to stiffen up the feel a bit.

As far as tone goes, I think thicker strings can be a bit 'thuddy'. Especially since I general don't find myself 'digging in' on them.

I hardly ever change my strings out. Can't remember the last time I changed the strings on my white Strat.
I'm actually to the point that I think the new string sound would scare me!
Intonation on the B and e strings are totally shot.... Got both saddles as far forward as they can go.
(I have a new set of 10's on my other Strat with a higher action).

As far as my amp goes, I like it warm and clean with a touch of reverb and the vibrato set so that it sounds almost like tube compression as the sound fades out.

I know there are lots of stories out there about some big names using HEAVY strings (Cobain and SRV come to mind).
But there are also lots of stories of big names using LIGHT strings too (Hendrix, Clapton, BB King....).
So, to each their own.

Ken

PS
Cobain used lots of OD so tonality isn't an issue with him.
SRV's tone always bothered me, and I'm pretty sure it was the thick strings that did it.
Just killed most of the subtle nuances that a Strat has.

T-Bone Walker used thicker strings, but he played before slinky strings. Plus he had that wonderfully dry,
maple hollowbody sound going on. Thicker brings that sound out a bit more.

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I hardly ever change my strings out. Can't remember the last time I changed the strings on my white Strat.

Hiya, Ken...

I could never figure out why people don't change strings...so here's my chance to ask why! :?

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey, Cat.

Well, I guess it's because I have no practical reason to have to change them. I'm not a professional player.
It doesn't really bother me. Old strings get a sort of funky sound to them. IIRC, Robbie Krieger from The Doors
was never one to change his strings. He attributed his sound to old strings.
Like Noteboat said of his teaching guitar - If it holds tune, that's good enough for me.
Besides, if I got used to new strings, it would be one more thing for me to be anal about when it comes to guitars - I really don't need that. I like my oddball mix of "This HAS to be THIS way", and silly superstition :wink:

When it comes to my acoustic guitar, I LOVE new strings. And they wear out (sonically speaking), within a few days :(
Saying that, I don't change those strings all too often either. Lemme think....
It was July of 2010 that I last changed the strings on the acoustic :wink:
(Are you cringing?)

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Cringing? A bit. I need my strings to sound the same every time. It also gets me into the work mode to change them...

Cheers!

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Intonation on the B and e strings are totally shot.... Got both saddles as far forward as they can go.

I suspect that the lack of intonation is the result of not changing strings.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ha! Geez...ya think????

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Ha! Geez...ya think????

Cat
Dunno, it was just a thought........................

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

So I tried it like you said Cat, I've got 008s Extra Slinkys on my Tele for about a month and1/2 and I have to say I'm enjoying that Guitar more than ever now.

The main advantage is…my Bends and Vibrato are improving drastically, I mean, I'm
Suddenly better at it, because it took me all of about 15min to get used to the thinner gauge, and after that it was Screamin Rock City! :lol:

The dynamics of the Guitar may be a little weaker at some places on high E string, but a little foolin with the pickup height evens it out a bit.

I would definitely recommend these.

Pat

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The BIGGEST problem is the inadvertant noise that accompanies what you want to highlight. I play with the gain way up but since I pick lightly it isn't loud...but there's heaps of volume lurking there just waiting for you to pick harder. This makes all the wipes, putting on and coming off your strings noisy and quite irritating...at first. After a while, lots of what you play will begin to incorporate all that slop...in key. Harmonics will jump out at you. But mistakes will be in yer face, too...but that's good...because it's bleedin' obvious so it's plain as day where you need to get better. There's also care to be taken with (what I call) "trampolining" your strings. Too much pressure on a note will send it sharp because you are pushing it down between the fret bars to where it sharps. Again, pick lightly...which is always the problem especially if you are grooving into a tune and the vibe gets heavier. My old bulldozer-driving analogy can explain it: when I came up on a tough thing to move (tree stumps) I'd stand, lean forward, grit my teeth, and push harder at the controls. This doesn't do a thing...and neither will over-reacting to your .008's! :wink:

Listen to Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer on "Wired". You want to hear "slop in tune"??? Awesome.

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

Trying to get a grip on where you're going here, Me, I'm just an amateur player, so my analyisis may not be as deep...

Because the strings are lighter, really light, there is less tension and therefore the string will have a tendency to be
rather floppy. In this case a player needs to pick lighter in order to get less string buzz and such. Crank the amp and
let it do most of the work :D

Pat

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I don't know about floppy...but bendy, for sure. YES, yer spot on about the buzz. Picking at it hard will have the strings buzz...but that means you are set up right. Bear in mind that a great axe is nothing more or less than a precision instrument...so a chimpanzee won't be able to play it. Lot's of finger noise and whatnot will be evident so you'll not have anywhere to "hide" as you get better. Bad notes will be in yer face. As you notice certain characteristics emerging...see what causes them and learn to turn it on and off.

Cat

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAyocfgbwVk

Almost a tutorial on .008's....

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@minorkey)
Reputable Member

Hmm extra light strings, easier to bend, but not so good for slide? I dunno, Im new to this, never tried other than standard strings. I like blues so would extra lights be no good for that? Strings are a mystery to me!

If I go blind guide me. If I go deaf shoot me
http://mymusictree.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6