Clear all

Using a capo brings down the action?

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I have high action on my Yamaha steel string and I find when I use the capo on the 2nd fret onwards, the action feels easier.

Is it just me or is it natural on guitars?

Thanks!

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

sounds like the nut on your guitar is too high. you might be able to get lower action by replacing it or filing down the back or slots a little. unless you like it like that, in which case obviously disregard.
yes, a capo will lower the action unless you have a zero fret guitar. a capo will cause the next fret up to act as the new nut. zero fret guitars already have a fret acting as the nut.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Measure the distance from the fretboard to the strings at the third fret. Now put your capo on at the second fret, and measure the distance from the fretboard to the strings at the third fret. Bit of a difference, eh? It's only natural that the capo's going to lower the action - how far, and how hard, do you have to press your index finger down to make a barre chord? Try a G chord - barred - at the third fret....355433 - then put your capo on, 2nd fret again, and try the same chord - 355433. It'll actually be an F chord you're playing, one fret up from the capo which is now the nut - but because the capo's on the 2nd fret, the F chord that you're playing is now a G chord. I'll bet you notice a BIG difference between the two chords!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well guess it does lower the action.

I was planning to use a capo always with that acoustic and downtune the guitar by one step. This is because, I haven't been able to find a cure for the higher action.

I CAN play with the current action, but my fingers aren't happy after a song or two...

However, I just saw some marks the capo left on the neck. And its a Kyser capo for crying out loud!

Maybe, I shouldn't use capos at all. I can't let em ruin my neck... :(

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You need a capo like this.....

...easliy adjustable, so's it doesn't dig into the neck of your guitar(s.) I've actually forgotten what it is, I think it's a Shubb... but it works well on my Tele AND on my acoustic.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Those are made by Shubb.

Rahul, do you have any music stores nearby where you live? Any guitar tech should be able to fix your guitar's action with little problems (assuming that it's only a matter of high action).

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so I just realised I was making some mistake using the capo. Now, I am keeping the handle of the capo away from the neck so I think it should be fine now. This is the capo I have - http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kyser-QuickChange-Capo-6String?sku=361600

David, I already visited a music store here and the repair guy said that my action was already low and he couldn't do anything about it.

I just measured the action again. It is:

1. At 12th fret

6th string - 2.8 cm
1st string - 2 cm

2. At 5th fret

6th string - 2 cm
1st string - 1.8 cm

Am I really whining about the action? :?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if that's supposed to be millimeters instead of centimeters, that's low action. if it's actually centimeters, that's ridiculously high action.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Oops...Jason, that is millimeters!

Must have been the morning cereal... :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I use a G7 capo on my guitars. Always works great and never causes damage. I would highly recommend one.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote