Clear all

Vabrato on top of a bend?

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well Ive noticed quite a few songs use fast vabrato on top of a bend, notated as 7b9~, well how do you do this? Does it just take a lot of practice? Any tips? i find it very hard to do. Thanks.

ps, i will not be able to respond for about a week, im going on vacation.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

This is a great time to use that lonely vibrato bar.
Other than that, practice and bracing your fretting hand against the neck help, I suppose, but I'm terrible at it.

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

It's a technique that Hank Marvin and Mark Knopfler use quite extensively, and I think it sounds fantastic. So, I set about learning it. The real problem is that it requires a lot of finger strength. First of all, just practice bending up to note, and holding the bent note for as long as you can. Then just wobble that note around a bit. It's not too hard, but the trick is subtlety; you need to keep the movement down to a minimum.

I don't know whether that really helps, but just keep practicing and it'll soon become a natural part of your playing. (I almost always ad a lit vib to my bends now)

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Does it just take a lot of practice?

Definitly, bending is hard to achieve correctly but a good vibrato takes YEARS to achieve... just keep practicing and work on it.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@markminni)
Eminent Member

Try this: put you index finger on the 5th fret of the string that you are bending,your middle finger on the 6th fret of the string that you are bending, and your ring finger on the 7th fret of the string that you are bending. Now use all three fingers to bend the note to the pitch of the 9th fret note, and then apply your vibrato.

ReplyQuote
(@distortocaster)

Steve Vai does this quite a bit in his songs.

Depends on the length of the bend - if it's a 1/2 step it shouldn't be such a problem, but if its 1 1/2 or 2 steps you've probably touched the neighbouring string and that makes it difficult - use the tremolo

ReplyQuote