Video editing help needed

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Not sure where this one should have gone, but it is music and guitar related.

Would someone that is into home video editing mind answering some questions either here or via PM?

I am making a video to one of my originals. I know it seems cheesy (I think) but I think it would be fun and I just bought a video camera. Trouble is that I am having trouble getting the "parts" from the camera into a editing program that I can use to line them up the way I want them. I am not recording the segments in the same order that I want them in the end. Are there home editing programs that are good for this? Will Windows Movie Maker do what I need? The camera is a Panasonic PV-GS300 if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I have used windows movie maker to import from my firewire equipped video camera, and subsequently edit.

I've also used WinDV to capture the video from the camera. It has the advantage of being able to record each "scene" from the camera to a separate file on your computer. (it starts a new file each time it notices that you pressed pause on your camera).
A good editor is AVID free, which is a free (as in money) version of one of the best pro video editors out there.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

I take a professional video class at my school, and we work with a nice 400 dollar program to get the job done...

Sorry :(

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

You should try the Windows one and the Avid mentioned above. If you find they are too limited then the next thing up is the budget range, don't concern yourself too much with features because when it comes to video editing you really do want stability and good encoding more than anything else or you will end up driving yourself mad. In the budget £50 uk range there are only three worth bothering with.

Sony Vegas movie studio 6, excelent value, excellent program, stable, good encoding, the best IMO but possibly harder to use. I personally think it's the easiest to use of the lot but it has a name for being not user friendly but I really can't see why myself. This IMO is one of the best value pieces of software available.

Adobe Premiere Elements. Functionally good, mostly stable but bloated screen layout, good encoder, reasonably easy to use. Version 2.0 requires specific processor so beware.

Ulead Video studio, Good program, stable, good encoding, limited functions, easy to use.

Lee

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Ulead Video studio, Good program, stable, good encoding, limited functions, easy to use.
I have this one, it's very good. Has chroma-key too :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys.. Thanks for the links and ideas. I downloaded ULead, the 30 day. I dont mind paying for something, not even the 400 bucks Duff mentioned but I want to make sure whatever it is does what I need. Thing is that I dont think I need all that much. Basically, if it lets me start and stop where I want. Put the peices in order. Add music to it and align it with the music. OHH ya.. maybe add the title in the bottom right, then thats all I need.

THanks again. I'll post a link if I ever get it working.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It does that nicely. I can't compare it to any others as it's the only one I've used, but it's pretty straight forward. You load up the clip or clips into a library (and you can edit those into new library clips etc, ie, set a beginning and end marker on it and save just that section as a new library clip), and just drag and drop from the library onto the main timeline. Overdubs and overlays are done much like a multitrack sound recorder, seperate lines beneath the main line, and fades are drag and drop too.

The best thing is that it's so straightforward, I haven't used the manual once. Just like audacity - fire it up and fiddle with it for an evening and you'll know everything you need to for basic editing.

Looking forward to seeing the end result :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@mikecullen)
Estimable Member

geoo if Ulead doesnt work out i have a bit of editing experience with Final Cut Pro, sortof an old topic but just in case.

"This is a public service announcement....with guitars!"

ReplyQuote