Clear all

Views on a second guitar

20 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Having had my first guitar (which I borrowed off of a cousin) for over a year and a half, I have come to realise that although the sound is alright, it's horrible to play.

(My style? Well If you look at my sig you'll get an idea of how it can be reasonably varied. I would like a guitar most likely with a maple neck, that is good for both chords and lead. I like to play each equally.)

So I'm now looking at these guitars:

Washburn J6
http://www.infotechshop.co.uk/products.asp?partno=Musical-Instruments-Washburn-J6-TS-WAS0097

'72 Telecaster Custom RI
http://www.instrumentpro.co.uk/P-FEN013750?source=froogle

Stratocaster Standard (or similar 3sc Strat)
http://www.piedog.com/musical_instruments/guitar/electric_guitars/fender-standard_strat_awt_rw.htm

My range is sort of £300- £600

Thanks for any advice/help.
:roll:

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@alouden)
Trusted Member

Godin

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

rolling you eyes on a question is a little unusual!
I'd like this one
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_fender_thomann_texas_special_strat_mn_prodinfo.html

the seller is supposed to be very good and has been recommended to me, though I haven't bought anything yet

Or as you are in London, go and try some guitars at Peter Cooks, check the clearance section too
http://www.petercooks.co.uk/index.php

It's definitely worth trying a few before buying, maybe an Epiphone Les Paul might tickle your fancy?

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

rolling you eyes on a question is a little unusual!
I'd like this one
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_fender_thomann_texas_special_strat_mn_prodinfo.html

the seller is supposed to be very good and has been recommended to me, though I haven't bought anything yet

Or as you are in London, go and try some guitars at Peter Cooks, check the clearance section too
http://www.petercooks.co.uk/index.php

It's definitely worth trying a few before buying, maybe an Epiphone Les Paul might tickle your fancy?

Ha. I was just using the rolling eyes one because it looked up to the "thanks for any advice" part of my message.

:D

Thanks for those sites, and I like the look of that Fender and it ticks the boxes, so I might have to try it out.

I originally set my heart on a Les Paul when I first started guitar, but since then I've gone off the design a little. I think I prefer the Tele Custom instead. But I'll try one out. I've only had a bad experience with a friend of a friends LP copy that is AWFUL to play. But that's not a real LP so it's not much to base an opinion on.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i think the best plan would be to go down to your local guitar center or whatever and just play a whole bunch of guitars until you decide which one you like best. this may take more than one trip. personally, i like the prs se as a fairly cheap (around $500), yet still high quality, guitar.
for an acoustic, i'd recommend the one i have, which is an alvarez rf20sm. it was about $200 and is solid mahogany and sounds and looks beautiful.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

jason,
clazon is in the UK so the prices won't really compare, however I'm glad you agree that trying a few is the best idea

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yup, once you've been playing for a while, and have a general idea of what you want, it makes sense to just try as many as you can, until you find a type that suits you. Then try as many of that type as you can find, until you find a specific model...Then, guess what you should do? Try as many of that model as you can until you find the best. Remember that each individual guitar will be a little different than another. And just because you try one guitar that isn't made well, try some others of the same kind, you might have just picked a lemon...Lemmon?

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

The Strat and Tele look great (I like the Tele a bit more), but it doesn't mention where they are made.
For older Fenders, there is a huge difference between the factories in Japan, Mexico and America.
I don't know about their reputation today.

These days my first pick would be a used 80's American Strat.
Although my dream would be an original 60's Sunburst Strat :D

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Indeed, there's loads of talk about Mexican assembled is fine, but Mexican made isn't great and current Japenese efficiency and such.

I think basically American is still best but not by as much as prices suggest. That's just from the tons of stuff I;ve read on the matter.

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Those two Fenders would be Mexican made (MIM in Fender jargon) - but none the worse for that. The current non-US Fenders (and that includes Squiers these days) are very good guitars indeed. I have a 2002 Squier Tele (Indonesia) that's almost as well-made as my 1978 Fender USA Strat, and the sound is up there with any Tele, IMHO. The current US Fenders are definitely a step up (the American Deluxe in particular are incredible build quality) but then they're 3 times the price of the ones you're looking at.

Haven't seen that Washburn you mention, but I've played a 90s Washburn Les Paul, and it was a very decent guitar, if a little rough in the finish department. (I believe the recent ones are better finished.)

You list three very different guitars, though - no one but you can choose between a Strat, a Tele and a jazz box. You'll have to play them, and see which one suits the kind of music you play. You mention a maple fingerboard - that narrows it down to a Fender out of your three. Both the Strat and the Tele are equally good for lead and rhythm, both very versatile guitars, but they sound and feel very different from each other. Only you will know which you prefer. One thing I have noticed, though, is that the Strat is a more "forgiving" instrument. The Tele will not tolerate any sloppy playing :wink:

A thought: have you considered Fender Highway 1? They're US-made, nice satin finish (? less durable - I don't know) and they sell for a little less than £500 - still within your budget. See here for some prices. Not quite as stellar as the more expensive US instruments, but very nice indeed 8)

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips.

:)

I can't wait to play some of these in a few weeks time when I'll have a considerable amount of free time!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, I am not sure of what Radiohead uses, but if you love the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Hendrix, and this is the sound you are after, then go with a Strat. 8)

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hmmm.

I do admire some of John and Jimi's Strats, but as you rightly pointed out, it's Thom Yorke's (lead singer and rhythm player for Radiohead) and Jonny Greenwood's (lead guitarist...) telecasters that also interest me.

I like the versatility of strats, but the much praised sound qualities and H/S coil set up of the tele interest me.

Either way, as long as I get the right one it doesn't matter!

:D

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

In that case I should have a strat, too. Chili Peppers are my favorite, luv Hendrix also luv radiohead too! But I have a PRS Santana SE and it's a great guitar. I've no problem with it. I just bought a new acoustic so I won't be buying another guitar, at least not this year. but maybe a strat next year! A couple of things I like about strats is the contoured body and the maple necks.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Clazon

A standard Tele comes with two single coils. Of course the have the HS and HH versions.

But you can get Strats with humbuckers. My American Strat is HSH.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2