Clear all

Vox or Marshall?

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, here's my situation (btw I posted this in another topic, but this is just so more people see it), well anyhow, I need a new amp, one to gig with (small venues). So, I have narrowed it down to Vox valvetronix series, or the Marshall MG DFX series. Both have some onboard efx which I like, vox obviously much more. But what I really want is a reverb, chorus, and delay. And hey the marshall has a chorus, and a chorus/delay! Thats great. But looking at some reviews on harmony central I see that the marshall is so so. What do you guys recommend. Also keep in mind that I can get the MG50DFX for cheaper than the vox 30 watt.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Keep in mind that, all other things being equal, 50W is minimally louder than 30W.
To double the putput, you have to have ten times the wattage - so a 50W amp is only twice as loud as a 5W amp. You can make a 30W almost as loud as a 50W by installing a more efficient speaker(s).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The Vox is far and far superior. Way more variety among the core sounds, and the effects are less plastic as well. Ain't too big on the Vox effects though. Never been a fan of the MG series and I am quite pleased with the Valvetronix. As for volume: my vox had no isses getting over the drums during a small outside gig.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Mich I think you may have to listen to both yourself. They have different sounds, with the vox leaning to cleans and moderate overdrive grind and the Marshall more towards heavier distortion. (Broadly speaking)

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@azraeldrah)
Estimable Member

Keep in mind that, all other things being equal, 50W is minimally louder than 30W.
To double the putput, you have to have ten times the wattage - so a 50W amp is only twice as loud as a 5W amp. You can make a 30W almost as loud as a 50W by installing a more efficient speaker(s).

that may be true, but its also down to sound quality as well. my 65 watt gives amazing sound quality compared to my 10 watt... also when im playing alongside a drummer my 10 watt is nearly drowned out on full volume whilst my 65 watt barely touches the half way point.

This signature is a forgery.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Keep in mind that, all other things being equal

Which I still stand by. Different amps will produce different results, because not all other things are equal.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

Iv got a Valvetronix, and considered beforehand getting a marshall dfx...Im very glad i went with the choice i did.
You will never get bored of the sound from the valvetronix - Cos you can completely change the sound if u do! Theres so much variety, and i was very suprised at the ammount you can adjust each effects

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

having played both for hours, and carefully considering a purchase of either the Vox AD30VT or the Marshall MG30DX, I chose the Vox. I do still want the Marhsall, but the Vox is hands down better and more versatile...and i do like the effects, but they certainly wont be replacing my stompboxes anytime soon. The models are GREAT and you can tweak them all you want, and save your settings in the amp...and it has that built-in power regulator, so you can use it as a 10W at home, and crank it up to 30W for a gig. Personally I think it's one of the best, if not the best, amp you can get for under $300

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member

I'm also considering the Vox 30. I'm actually deciding between the Vox 30 and the Cube 30.

But I've been hearing that there are alot of reliability issues with the Vox. I've heard several cases of people getting the Vox, and the thing going bust after a few weeks. Can anyone comment on that?

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Got mine for a few months, two friends have an AD30VT as well, and I know two others with an AD60. The only problem I've heared of is the input jack falling insdie the amp when you pull hard ont the chord instead of the plug. Was easy to screw back in. No further problems for any of us.

I think it is mostly a luck-kinda thing. On this forum quite a few have had bad experiences with marshalls, on a dutch forum I visit it is fender that is unreliable. Behringer is supposed to be crap, but all their stuff has always performed perfectly for me.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

But I've been hearing that there are alot of reliability issues with the Vox. I've heard several cases of people getting the Vox, and the thing going bust after a few weeks. Can anyone comment on that?

I've had mine for about two months now with no problems .. but, that's not very long...

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

Are those Vox amps, tube amps? I bought the Marshall and i am fairly satisifed, although the fan does make a wierd buzzing noise at times...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It's a pretty unique hybrid amp. Digital pre-amp followed by a pseudo tube poweramp (using tubes usually found in pre-amps) which is then boosted to it's final volume using a neutral solidstate poweramp. So you set the modeling part however you want, then drive the poweramp-tube(s) as much as you want and finally you decide the volume by using the power level control.

Sometimes you can fix the buzzing stuff by checking the screws in the cabinet, if it's loose it might cause a side fo the cabinet to vibrate.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I would check out this amp. It gets very good reviews.

This amp has the power to gig, and the effects.

Kustom Quad 65

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys, I initially was thinking vox, then my local place had the marshall MG50, and they don't carry vox. So, I was just curious, I may go with the vox for versatility considering I can't try it out near me. Oh, by the way the guy I was talking to at the local shop said repair guys won't touch anything when it comes to digitial effects? So this means I can't get my amp repaired, lets say if it breaks down a bit? Anyhow, the vox sounds good. Thanks guys.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2