Clear all

Wah Pedals

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Looking to purchase a wah pedal. No clue on these. I have a Marshall tube amp and a Gibson SG.

Where's a good place to start? Any manufacturers that are known for wah pedals?

FYI: Hard rock/metal tastes.

Thanks. KY

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

You should play them and decide what you like, as various models sound and operate differently. Top brands are Crybaby (now by Dunlop, many models), Vox (maybe also owned by Dunlop), Morley (Steve Vai Bad Horsie and others) and Boss (Powerwah).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gjbrake)
Reputable Member

Had a jam with someone who has one of those Boss Power Wahs the other day. In fairness, drenched in overdrive and delay it sounded wonderful, but it's all a bit too complicated if you ask me.

Give me a pedal and an on/of switch and I'm happy!

In other words, features is something you've got to consider. Some Wahs have a number of different sounds, memory patches, and all kinds of knobs, whilst others are just pedal and switch! And there's true bypass to consider too - and some have something called passive switching (at least I think that's what it's called) where you just start using it and it turns itself on.

I think there was a whole Crybaby vs Vox thread down in the Amps & EFX section recently - more info can probably be found there!

Hope that helps!
G

Listen Louder Than You Play

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Vox and Crybaby pedals are the most comparible -- look and feel much the same with somewhat different sounds. The Morleys are completely different in nature -- people seem to love 'em or hate 'em. The Boss is a pricy ($150 US) piece that supposedly emulates a lot of other pedals quite well, but as gjbrake indicates, it is "complicated."

One thing I should have mentioned above: Don't forget to check the sound of your setup through the pedal in the "wah-off" state. The standard Crybabies and Voxes are known to affect tone when not in use. So much so, that many do a hard bypass mod on them (replace the switch) to ensure they are out-of-circuit when in wah-off.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kyoun1e)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm not into a complicated pedal. Looking probably for the basics. I've never been one to fool around endlessly with all the various combinations of sound. No time.

Looking for simplicity at around $100 that will satisfy my hard rockin needs.

Thanks. KY

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

The Crybaby's are awesome, but I'm going with the Vox. BTW Hendrix used a Vox.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@snakebyte90)
Eminent Member

I am by no means an expert on this but I think the vox are better classic wah tones, but you may need to spend a little more than 100, like 150 or something. Crybabies give the more modern wah tone like alice in chains or heavy metal type, but it has a lot to do with the amp too.

I got a heil you don't! nuyah nuyah!

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

There was another thread on Dunlop vs. VOX, the VOX was more preferred because it's got a true bypass switch. Also, it was said that the dunlops tend to take over your signal and suck tone from your guitar. The VOX lets more of the character of the guitar come through with the effect.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@rocker4life)
Eminent Member

I know that Zoom makes some wah pedals at a more afordable price, korg, and rogue makes some too. I think they're made out of plastic but there good enough for my budget. :lol:

Good luck on your search

"We play it the way the air is in America today. The air is slightly
static isn't it ? You know what I mean ? " -Jimi

ReplyQuote
(@thelonius)

There are other wah pedals than the Fulltone Clyde and the Ibanez weeping demon?

But really, I've read nothing but stellar reviews for both of these, the Fulltone seems to be one of the tops for the tone junkies, and the Ibanez for the rock players.

I currently have a dunlop 535q and I'm not very impressed with it. It is almost too adjustable. I loved it out of the box, then started fiddlin with it and just can't seem to get back to that stock sound.

I'm lurking around for a dunlop jimi hendrix or a fulltone clyde now.

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

The other thing to consider is what type of wah action you want. Some are spring loaded, so you encounter resistance when you press on them. I find these more comfortable than standard action wahs, but the cry baby was the cheapest so I bought it instead. Afterwards though, I tried the weeping demon, and that thing growls. I mean really, gut renchingly menacing wah tone. And(my favorite part) its got spring loaded and regular actions :P . Wish I had gotten it now, but I'm attached to my crybaby.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You can pick-up Morley pedals on E-bay really reasonable. Some folks buy them, then lose interest and sell them.

Joe

ReplyQuote