Clear all

Wanted: Guitar for Child

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

My 7 yr old nephew who lives with us has discovered he loves the guitar. He loves it show much that I hardly get to play on mine because the second he wakes up until bedtime all he wants to do is play the guitar. I think it's great since he a bit of hyper ADD kid and the guitar seems to slow him down and make him focus.

So now my question, does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look or even certain models of CHEAP child sized guitars?

I've checked Ebay and I am looking for very cheap... Being 7 yrs old I don't want to invest large amounts of money into the guitar. At least not until he is a 10 yr old guitar god! LOL!

(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i have a guitar called an Amigo that I bought for $85 in a store. It's a half sized acoustic. I know you can get it online but i don't know where. You have to google amigo guitars and find a place. Then come in steel string and nylon string. it has a spruce top.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarteacher)
Trusted Member

I always recommend children start that age start on a Yamaha CGS-102 classical (that is a 1/2 size model). The nylon strings have less tension and are wider in diameter (no callouses required) and the strings are farther apart than they would be on an acoustic or electric providing a greater margin of error for both little hands. Yamaha's and Takamine's are the workhorses of the nylon string guitar world. They play in tune and are well set up which is exactly what you should look for in a beginner's instrument. The Yamaha CGS-102 is available for app. $100.

Good Luck!

If you want to be good, practice. If you want to be great, you must constantly change the way you think.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

The way they're behaving today, I'd swap my two for a guitar too :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

:lol: :lol: LOL! Some days... :wink:

Check out Rhondo Music:
http://www.rondomusic.net/index.html

They have some inexpensive acoustic guitars in smaller sizes, and also some short scale electrics for under $100.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

LOL!!!! Too funny! Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely be looking into those. I failed to mention that he wants an electric. I think he wants to be a rock star :)

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/amis.htm

This one is great, Canadian made, wonderful quality and tone.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

if he wants electric probably the best thing to do is to find the cheapest package deal you can find. that way you get the guitar, small amp, maybe a book, some strings. i don't know what you call a lot of money but you can probably find someting for around $200. Guitar Center is sure to have something.

ReplyQuote