Clear all

Weird String Experience

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

My latest guitar purchase was a Squire Affinity Telecaster. Mid December. So, I've had this for almost 3 months and decided to change the strings. Nothing visably wrong with them, just have not done so yet and everyone always say to change them on new guitars. Besides, I wanted some 10's on there and I never liked Fender strings to begin with.

First surprise was that instead of Fender 9s, I discovered they were D'Adds I think, based on the color coded ball ends and not the typical Fender ends. Still 9's though. I put 10's on there, D'Adds EXL110's, fully expecting to have to do some string height adjustment at a minimum. Wrong! 2nd surprise. The action actually improved. It wasn't bad before, but now it's actually impressive. I thought that putting on thicker strings would raise the action a bit. Whatever strings were on there, they must have been the cheapest things they could find.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@axissupersport)
Eminent Member

In my experience I've found that changing from 9's to 10's doesn't do much to the action as much as it does to the intonation. D'Addario 10's are what I use and they are awesome strings. They feel good, sound good and last a long time. I've tried several different brands including Ernie Ball, GHS Boomers and DR's and I always go back to D'Addario's. I think the difference you feel is just the fact that you have a good set of strings on now. There's no telling how long the original strings were on the guitar before you bought it and how many people played it before you got to it. As time goes on you may decide to try different brands of strings and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'd be willing to bet you end up going back to D'Addario's. Also, you may want to get yourself a tuner if you don't already have one and check your intonation. If you're not sure how to go about it give us a holler and we'll help you out. Good luck and ROCK ON!!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

When I made the switch on my MIM Strat and MIM Tele, the action was rather high. That's why I was surprised at this being lower.

I have not checked the intonation on this one yet, but will soon. It doesn't sound off, but I don't go down the neck a whole lot anyways. Not enough to pick a defect out by ear like I can open chords and such. On my MIM Tele, it took quite a bit of adjustment to get it right. Like several turns, and I wasn't that far out IIRC.

Yup, got a few tuners kicking about. One at each guitar playing station and one in my accoustic case.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

That's really interesting that the heavier gauge strings improved the action...it doesn't make from a physical standpoint to my mind (unless I'm forgetting something)...

Huge bonus that such a simple thing improved the playability though. If only all of our instruments improved like that with a simlpe string change.

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Had to have been different metal is all I can figure. I did do a set-up on it finally. It was not off by a whole lot. A slight adjustment of the truss rod, lowered a few strings and raised one, all slightly. Intonation was only off a little bit on a few strings. It's amazing what a proper set-up will do. I at least measure my settings on all of the guitars every year now. Had the tools out, so did my MIM the next day.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

It is amazing what a setup can do for a guitar. It's even more amazing what a setup and a fret level can do for a guitar. I've seen $150 electrics play like $2000 electrics after a setup and fret-level.

I just noticed what your signature says Roy...definitely words to live by!

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I just did my first fret level ever Saturday. To my surprise it was pretty easy and sure made the guitar sound and play so much better. But yeah, that's weird if putting bigger strings fixed an action issue.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just did my first fret level ever Saturday. To my surprise it was pretty easy and sure made the guitar sound and play so much better. But yeah, that's weird if putting bigger strings fixed an action issue.

I think if one of my cheaper guitars ever has fret problems I'll give it a try. I've yet to do any nut or fret work. I measure the nut height, but so far it's been good or really close to it. <knocks on wood>

I think it must have just been a different string material-metal. Nick listed a bunch of them out on another thread for accoustics. There's a bunch out there.
It is amazing what a setup can do for a guitar. It's even more amazing what a setup and a fret level can do for a guitar. I've seen $150 electrics play like $2000 electrics after a setup and fret-level.

I just noticed what your signature says Roy...definitely words to live by!

I'm all about the basic set-up. I'm not going to claim that any of my cheapies play as good as a well maintained high dollar guitar, but at least they're servicable for my skill level and playing style.....which is what it's all about anyhow.

Yup, work hard, play hard, and hope for the best. :wink:

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I don't know much about electric guitars....well, okay I know nothing about them, but I have found that the Squire Affenity series seems to be worth well more than what is charged.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

G'day, Parker...

Just bought another 10-pack of Ernie Ball .008's and here I see this post.

Try 'em, Parker. Humour me. I put all sorts of strings on the "hey you can't do that" basis all the time. You won't have any loudness or longevity out of them...but screw that.

Why? It'll present a new dynamic. You'll play a bit differently so you'll add more the technique side of things rather than song repertoire...

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi Cat,
Why? It'll present a new dynamic. You'll play a bit differently so you'll add more the technique side of things rather than song repertoire...

I'm curious. How so? or, how does it make one play differently?

Roy

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

G'day, Parker...

Ya caught me wingin' my way back home. I'm at one of those internet kiosks at Singapore's airport.

As for light strings aiding your playing technique:

You'll also need the thinnest pick poskibule and play it as softly as you can. There WILL be heaps of squeaks, finger noise, rasping up and down the strings BECAUSE you need to play really, really hot to get any volume. But ignore that and go with it. I kinda like the noise if it's in the same key (as Jeff Beck loves to do).Your shortcomings will be "in your face" with no place to hide and you'll tighten all that aspect right up, real quick, I guarantee it Parker.

Thinking of it...at my ever-advancing age (geez, 58 last week!) I'm noticing my arthritis "showing up" as more and more notes go astray...that I wouldn't notice if I were using a thicker set with the same heavy pressure everywhere.

If you are really playing light...your fingers are exerting only the barest of pressure and "chiming out" is really evident, too. Your strings will ring way better than you can imagine. If you get truly used to this...you can reset your action REALLY low, too.

Hey...read my tingy at the bottom of all my posts. I put it there for ME to see every time I look over the GN site. It's MY mantra. Unless I'm 100% "in the moment"...my playing falls short of the mark. If I'm well and truly "on" it's because I'm playing as sensitive and as "close to the edge" as I can be.

Guitars were originally shaped "like a woman" for a reason, Parker!

Now I gotta go wash my hands. Lord knows who's been on this keyboard!!!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@aleholder)
Trusted Member

Hi All,

I have nothing to add to this discussion other to say I think "Weird String Experience" would be a great band name. :D

I really do.

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

Good call...that would be an awesome band name!

ReplyQuote