Skip to content
went to guitar cent...

Notifications
Clear all

went to guitar center to try the 2 amps in my price range.

17 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hot Rod Deluxe and Deluxe Reverb

i played on them with an american deluxe strat, which plays like butter.

anyways, after playing the deluxe reverb and moving to the hot rod deluxe, i noticed the hot rod deluxe has more of a ballsy bassy sound, that i didn't notice before, since i never really tryed amps side by side.

the deluxe reverb sounded really tiny IMO, more of a metallic type of sound, but the reverb was really really really nice.

the reverb on the hot rod deluxe was good, but wasn't as good as the deluxe reverb.

so my question is, is there a fender amp that has the ballsy bass tone of the hot rod deluxe, and the amazing reverb of the deluxe reverb?

budget is around $800 or less.

by the way i also tryed a eric johnson strat, for those of you who haven't tried one.

it was pretty cool, sound wasnt as deep as the american deluxe IMO, but was pretty nice. i wasn't a fan of the neck being heavily finished like that though, wasn't as smooth.

my american strat has a lighter neck finish that i enjoy, the american deluxe seems like it has less finish on the neck and is overall smoother to play on.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thats 1000 dollars, and too much

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

and too much
What do you mean by "too much"? You could probably score one for 800 used easily...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

well its really heavy, and really loud.

the HRD isnt as loud as the twin but still loud enough to last me a long time.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Well if you want a clean sound, I've heard that these up there with the best for clean... I haven't actually played one, but you might want to check it out...

http://www.music123.com/Roland-JC120-i123485.music

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

screw solid state. after playing through tubes i never wanna go back again.

im not just going to be playing clean.

i like to throw a little overdrive in there. and a have a multi effects box too.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I was thinkin that too (SS)... But alot of people use them... I dunno...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

the Jazzchorus is pretty much the best clean amp ever (IMHO!), and no, the HRD doesn't even come close to the absolute pristince clarity of the JC120. So why is it solidstate? Because those darn tubes mess up your sound when you turn them on, and the LAST thing I'll want is tube-poweramp distortion when playing clean. But ofcourse, the price of the best clean is that you cannot brag about tubes, which is unfortunate. Check the reviews for an indication and listen to it yourself (and give it a fair chance this time...), there's a reason it is so well-known...

Having said that I truly doubt Rich is looking for this kind of clean, seems more like an overdrive kinda guy...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

the Jazzchorus is pretty much the best clean amp ever (IMHO!), and no, the HRD doesn't even come close to the absolute pristince clarity of the JC120. So why is it solidstate? Because those darn tubes mess up your sound when you turn them on, and the LAST thing I'll want is tube-poweramp distortion when playing clean. But ofcourse, the price of the best clean is that you cannot brag about tubes, which is unfortunate. Check the reviews for an indication and listen to it yourself (and give it a fair chance this time...), there's a reason it is so well-known...

Having said that I truly doubt Rich is looking for this kind of clean, seems more like an overdrive kinda guy...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nonsense. Every tube amp will inevitably start add compression when being pushed, including clean tuber amps like the Twin. That's pretty much a given when using tubes. This explains the warmth: you might like it better but it is NOT clean. Which is perfectly cool if you don't need a pure clean tone, but if I'd be doing pure funky rhythm parts I'd much rather have a JC120 then whatever tube amp.

Rich: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=141/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/482620/

Bit over your budget but it would serve you well.

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

As to the original post, why go Fender at all? They base the whole company on what Leo Fender did way back in the 1960s. Look around, plenty of much better amps out there. By the way, solid state: the more you pay, the more your getting robbed. The dealers pay between $30 and $200 for these amps. Behringer's one company that give you an honest price.

As for the comment about the tubes: try again. I used to swear by the JC-120, but I found as clean in a tube amp, but with an incredible distortion like nothing I've ever heard in an amp before: the Koch. I'll be reviewing it sometime in the Fall. And again, quite a few tube amps like that nowadays. Just to say that that technology has also improved a lot.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

A-J: Koch absolutely rules! Tried the Twintone and Multitone and was totally blown away. Never knew tube amps could get that versatile. Twintone is also a bit above his budget I guess.

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

well its fender cause they have that sound i am looking for.

my carvin couldn't give me that sound. the HRD was the first amp i turned on that gave me the sound i wanted, without any tweaking.

i was just asking if there was something that had the meat of the HRD and the Reverb of the deluxe reverb all in one.

seems to be the twin.

we will see what happens.

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Get HRD and a decent reverb pedal perhaps?

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

I just got a copy of the Carvin DVD ( http://www.carvin.com/dvd/ ) and they've got some cool amps and some big names that like their amps.

http://www.carvin.com/guitar_bass_amps/

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2