Clear all

What Are You Currently Working On?

49 Posts
34 Users
0 Likes
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

working on a variety of things:

BYCU - haven't had much time to practice in a while w/ moving into a new house. My calluses are amazing now! I can bend forever. Don't have my book with me, but i just finished the big bending lesson (9 or 10?)

Troy Stentina Heavy Metal Lead Guitar 1 - this book is amazing. Just started it. The drills are really good for incorporating bending, hammer ons, pull offs, arpeggios, etc. I lose hours just messing with the drills in this

Berklee Press, Modern Guitar Method - having played in a wind ensemble for most of my life (low brass) - i figured it was time to force myself to memorize the fretboard and read standard musical notation w/ guitar. This book seems to take a good approach. Not much explanation, just scales and etudes. Started this a week ago. It's good.

I have no one to play with :( I've been on a switchfoot kick lately. Learning some of their songs. Metallica as well

ReplyQuote
(@d-envii)

I'm forever just writing my own material. Have been learning a bit of megadeth lately aswell.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

A couple of things I'm bouncing around with:

1. Imagine, finger style. I may try strumming also (chord, bass note). **
2. Heart of Gold. Also working on the harmonica solo w/ chord/melody note.
3. House of the Rising Sun, finger style and chord arpeggio. Can't decide which I like better. **
4. I Hear You Knocking, 12 bar blues. Trying to work out the intro and middle solo. *
5. Proud Mary. Trying to work out the middle solo. * **
6. Dust In The Wind, the intro: getting my fingers to work properly. Using really as a finger exercise. Not ready for the whole song yet.
7. Sundown. **
8. Working Class Hero. * **

* I play the rhythm of these with the recording, all the way through.
** I'm working mainly on making my chord changes properly.

I'm sure this is probably too much for me to be working on at once, but I chip away at them. I'm almost ready to play Heart of Gold all the way through by myself (can't play that one with the recording... that darn Neil Young! :lol: ).
Dude, is that really a picture of you on the right?? If so, you need to start playing some Danzig...

Yes, that's really me.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, you want actual songs Roy.... OK:

Gonna take the above one at a time and work out the arangements, we actually know how to play them but need to smooth out the changes with the backing drum tracks.

Sorry about that. I guess I was being too chatty. :oops: :oops: :oops: I like your song list (and wes' and others' too). Always interesting to me to see what the good players are playing.

I find that whole arrangement thing interesting when I do it too. Sometimes the chord charts you find are rather incomplete, so you have to finish things off, write in bridges, instrumentals, outros, etc.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Projects to finish (so close!): lapsteel #1, second customized Squier '51, mini pedal board

New instruments practice: Fretless guitar, mando ... maybe some violin.

New song suggestions for October gig with David and Co.

but really ...

I've got to write some tunes. Not kidding. Think two might do for now.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Sorry about that. I guess I was being too chatty. :oops: :oops: :oops: I like your song list (and wes' and others' too). Always interesting to me to see what the good players are playing.

I find that whole arrangement thing interesting when I do it too. Sometimes the chord charts you find are rather incomplete, so you have to finish things off, write in bridges, instrumentals, outros, etc.

No problems at all Roy. I like all your posts. Good players? :lol: Thanks Roy .... I'll take that compliment though. 8) The arrangements do rule us though as we play to a midi drummer. I can program the midi as I like but it's a lot easier to just learn the arrangement as they are since most of the ones I find match the recordings.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Okay...if you're a dad you'll truly like this:

I've come up with enough songs to fill a CD for my teenage sons. They are well crafted with middle eights that jump right out at 'cha...and focused on the teen pop market. One, "I Don't Care" (there ain't any other words), will be a classic, no doubt. We're jamming on them most nights...homework, notwithstanding. Guitar, bass and drums are certainly going to be "ghosted" by me and two other pro session musos...so we've kind of toned down the harder bits so they can pull them off. The vocals surprise everyone...but, then, we use my tried and true ref track methodology.

Meanwhile, we're also looking for "something cute" to front the band with vocals...which (to me) is a huge source of amusement as my boys get pretty red-faced with every audition!

The journey's great so far...in fact, it's really a hoot!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member

At the moment I'm working on a few things:

1) Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under the Bridge". Learning on the electric but also the acoustic too (which for this song is notably harder I'm finding!)
2) Iron Maiden "The Trooper" - some fairly quick riffery, but proving to be a barrel of fun!
3) The solo from Stairway to Heaven. Seems to look fairly straightforwards on paper but I'm finding it harder in reality!

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

New update for me: I just decided I'm going to learn a song by Edwin McCain called Dragons. (Sorry, couldn't find a Youtube vid for it). Will record it and post tho. :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Well, mine didn't change so much as it got side-tracked for just a bit. Got some inspiration on my rhythm efforts from a few of my fellow GN'ers and felt like running with it. Strike, while the iron is hot.

A few songs like I posted in Hear Here will be worked on over the coming weeks, as well as doing some guitar work on a colab with BlueLine doing something else.

Still should have time most days to go through my oher exercises though. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thunderfingers and I just got 2 new ones ready to go ....... Godzilla and Babba Oriley!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Update.....

Just managed to work out the solo to Paper Plane by Status Quo. The first solo I've ever managed to work out that wasn't just single notes - once I'd managed to work out it was all double-stops, the rest was easy! Think I'll tab it out in full and stick it in easy songs, it's a 12-bar rocker with a cool solo. Sounds pretty hard, but it's easier than it seems.

Here's the old YT link..... Paper Plane

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chepegt)

I've been working on the following songs:

1. Floods by Pantera
2. Always with me always with you by Satch
3. 3 Libras by APC
4. Dogs by Pink Floyd (amaaaaaazing sounding that is gonna take years to master)
5. Open Car - Porcupine Tree
6. Big Medley - Dream Theater

I think I will have my hands full for a while with this songs and the usual licks and excercises repertoire :P

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

New song: Machinehead - Bush

Right after this I will be starting All my Life by the Foo Fighters

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rcsnydley1)
Trusted Member

Everyone seems to be keeping busy.
Here is what I am presently working on.

1. I am compiling a songbook of 50 songs (originals & some I've always wanted to play) and learning them
2. Pentatonic major and minor patterns, all keys
3. Major and minor scales, all keys (varying starting finger)
4. Blues scales
5. Keeping and notebook and starting to write songs again

As to number 1, I thought 50 was a good round number to start with. I will add more when I get these down cold. I am up to around 35 now.

Just enough to keep me off the streets, out of the bars and drive my wife crazy.

Ric

"I've got blisters on my fingers." - Ringo Starr

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4